Hugin --- cos we all know penguins like to hug.

abarbarian

abarbarian
Posted (edited)

I came across a post I made back in 2009 on another forum and as we have some interest in photography here amongst members I though this may be of interest.

The Grumpy Editor's hugin experience

The classic use of a tool like hugin, though, is the creation of panoramic images which cover a field larger than the camera can capture. A photographer wanting to create the best panorama should do a number of things to ensure that a set of images can be combined easily: the camera should be mounted on a tripod, and all settings should be manually selected and should be the same for every component image. A camera set for automatic exposure, for example, will vary that exposure as the camera is rotated to take the pictures; that will create differences from one image to the next. Changes in focus or depth of field will also complicate the task of properly stitching the images together.

Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

Goal: an easy to use cross-platform panoramic imaging toolchain based on Panorama Tools.

With Hugin you can assemble a mosaic of photographs into a complete immersive panorama, stitch any series of overlapping pictures and much more.

1eFCZ8Y.jpg

dKdIKRJ.jpg

More excellent examples here. If you click on the pictures in the link they take you to Flicker. Some of the pictures you can get to from there are certainly interesting.

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/hugin/interesting/

I did make some panoramas but seem to have lost the pictures, no doubt hidden in some obscure folder on some drive somewhere.

😀

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 3

raymac46

Interesting. I have a friend from another forum who specializes in making panoramas. I believe he makes use of Olympus gear and software to do it. He travels a lot in his job so he's always got some beautiful images.

abarbarian
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Interesting. I have a friend from another forum who specializes in making panoramas. I believe he makes use of Olympus gear and software to do it. He travels a lot in his job so he's always got some beautiful images.

Thing is you can make up shots out of just two pictures just to get all the detail in from a narrow shoot. Or you can make a 360 view of a scene to replay rather like a Google Street View except circular.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hamburgerjung/8358703722/in/photostream/

Here is another good guide come tutorial on Hugin.

https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2021/244/Hugin/(offset)/6

Although modern cameras often have built-in tools for creating panoramic images, Hugin offers many advantages. Sometimes the built-in camera tools do not write RAW files for panoramas, or sometimes the results are technically not convincing. Hugin, on the other hand, is universal and, besides panoramas, generates HDR images and super resolution images as needed. Whenever things get difficult, the program shows its full potential.

Additional programs such as the calibrate_lens_gui tool supplement the range of functions to determine correction data for older lenses – for example, from analog timing. The Batch Processor manages the process of computing many panoramas, which you can then run automatically overnight.

😎

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

That is neat but that just seems like extra work considering both android and apple has been able to do this for years using their camera apps. I do not see a time when you would want to do this manually unless you were doing so with a standalone camera.

abarbarian
4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That is neat but that just seems like extra work considering both android and apple has been able to do this for years using their camera apps. I do not see a time when you would want to do this manually unless you were doing so with a standalone camera.

Yer phones will not do RAW files I expect. You can do a lot wore with Hugin than just panoramas and I expect the quality will be better with it too. Never used any phone app for this so it is just a guess. 😎

securitybreach
18 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Yer phones will not do RAW files I expect. You can do a lot wore with Hugin than just panoramas and I expect the quality will be better with it too. Never used any phone app for this so it is just a guess. 😎

You can do RAW photos on android, don't know about apple https://www.androidpolice.com/android-capture-edit-raw-photos-guide/L

• Like 1

securitybreach

I only take pictures of nature sometimes so not really into photography so I could be missing something.

• Like 1

Hedon James

I did a GIMP/Hugin panorama about 20 years ago (before smartphone panoramas were a thing), where I stitched multiple shots together to look like a singe shoot.  Wanted it for the back of an album cover for a bunch of songs that I wrote, recorded, and played all the instruments by myself....1 track at a time.  I called that project "Menage a Moi"....essentially a  1-man band.  If Eric had kept digging just a LITTLE deeper, he would've found it on the same website he found my Avatar pic.  Since he already let the cat out of the bag with that one, here's the other:

Menage-a-Moi.jpg

• Like 2
  • +1 1

abarbarian
15 hours ago, Hedon James said:

I did a GIMP/Hugin panorama about 20 years ago

I bet that took a long time to process the conversion. 😲 Neat idea by the way. 😎

sunrat
On 5/10/2024 at 1:52 AM, Hedon James said:

I did a GIMP/Hugin panorama about 20 years ago (before smartphone panoramas were a thing), where I stitched multiple shots together to look like a singe shoot.  Wanted it for the back of an album cover for a bunch of songs that I wrote, recorded, and played all the instruments by myself....1 track at a time.  I called that project "Menage a Moi"....essentially a  1-man band.  If Eric had kept digging just a LITTLE deeper, he would've found it on the same website he found my Avatar pic.  Since he already let the cat out of the bag with that one, here's the other:

Menage-a-Moi.jpg

That looks great! However, pedantic sound engineer here - Your drums are miked up but vocal mic and guitars are not plugged in. 😁

Hedon James
13 hours ago, sunrat said:

That looks great! However, pedantic sound engineer here - Your drums are miked up but vocal mic and guitars are not plugged in. 😁

Hahaha!  Uh......wireless system?!  No one has noticed the headless guitar, which is certainly not headless.  🤪  Just couldn't figure out how to "overlay" myself in front of the guitar headstock.  As I recall, one has to identify a certain number of "match points" to consider as spatial references.  Stitching 4 separate photos together was very much a PITA task, and I made several attempts before I decided that this one was "close enough".  Haven't tried another one since.  LOL!

Hedon James
20 hours ago, raymac46 said:

That band looks like the Thompson Twins X2. :hysterical:

hahaha!  the best musicians I could find....that would work for free!  🤪