EUFI BIOS Does not show USB port

Purhonen

Purhonen

I'm trying to boot from a USB flash drive (containing SpinRite hard-drive recovery and maintenance program from Gibson Research) but when I go to the EUFI bios configuration the ONLY bootable item listed is my SS Hard Drive -- no USB or CD-ROM?

My equipment:
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz   1.80 GHz
Installed RAM    8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks, Steve Purhonen

securitybreach

Without knowing your motherboard brand and version, it's almost impossible to say. I would check around in your bios for usb booting or perhaps try F9 or F11 at bios splash.

raymac46

I've had problems like this when the USB media was formatted for MBR and the UEFI was only set up for GPT. See if there is a way your setup can boot in Legacy mode. Not saying this is the definitive solution but having a Legacy boot option can often help.

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

I've had problems like this when the USB media was formatted for MBR and the UEFI was only set up for GPT. See if there is a way your setup can boot in Legacy mode. Not saying this is the definitive solution but having a Legacy boot option can often help.

Ah yeah, that may be the case as I always have mine setup to do either.

On 4/7/2024 at 1:31 PM, Purhonen said:

I'm trying to boot from a USB flash drive (containing SpinRite hard-drive recovery and maintenance program from Gibson Research) but when I go to the EUFI bios configuration the ONLY bootable item listed is my SS Hard Drive -- no USB or CD-ROM?

My equipment:

Thanks, Steve Purhonen

A motherboard for 8th Gen i5 - have you updated the BIOS since you got it?

Bookmem
On 4/7/2024 at 3:31 PM, Purhonen said:

My equipment:

Thanks, Steve Purhonen

I see two possibilities. One, as #RAYMAC46 posted, enable "Legacy boot". The other is weird. Some times you have to uncheck the USB boot option, save the change, reboot to BIOS again and recheck USB. I've also seen this when installing onboard SSD drives. Have to uncheck and then recheck.

Purhonen

To all who contributed, thanks. I finally found a way to do what I set out to do, i.e. run the SpiinRite utility.

Here's what happened:

- Initial problem was I was unable to boot from the CD-ROM which had the SpinRite (Version 6.0) executable on it.

- Finally managed to get BIOS to boot from the CD-ROM by re-arranging the boot order in the LEGACY BIOS (If I selected the EUFI BIOS the bootable drive which appeared was my SSD, no USB, no CD-ROM, nothing.

- However, once SpinRite booted up it was not able to run (I think this is because it was Version 6.0 which came out in 2004). I went to developer web site (Gibson Research) and downloaded the latest SpinRite version, 6.1, which just was released. I loaded it onto a USB flash drive and when I ran this version it worked just fine and I accomplished what I had originally had intended to do, YEAH! (I had re-arranged the boot order on the LEGACY BIOS putting USB first)

- Finally, the anomaly with my BIOS that I originally described as my problem: I was unaware that there were TWO BIOS's I could use, LEGACY and EUFI. If I used the EUFI I could only boot from the SSD, so that was no help to me. If I used the LEGACY I could select the boot source BUT when I was done with the SpinRite utility and wanted to get back to Windows I ended up in a loop because it would not let me past the drive I had booted SpinRite from, the USB drive. To escape the loop I had to return to the BIOS Setup Utility and switch back to the EUFI BIOS; it worked and I was back to Windows . . . thank God.

LESSON LEARNED: I'm not familiar enough with a EUFI BIOS to know how to get it to recognized bootable drives OTHER THAN the SSD hard drive. So, in the future if I want to boot off anything other than the hard drive I guess I'm going to have to switch to the LEGACY to the work, and then switch back to the EUFI.

Thanks again for your assistance, Steve

• Like 1

raymac46

Some setups have the option to boot in both EUFI and Legacy mode. I have a couple of laptops where that works.

Alternatively you could try making a bootable USB drive with Rufus and make sure the format is GPT and the setup is EUFI.

On 4/16/2024 at 4:05 PM, Purhonen said:

which had the SpinRite (Version 6.0)

argh! I missed that you mentioned the version number. I would have told you that version 6.1 had a workaround for the USB booting problem.

It is also available as a standalone utility if one has the need to boot into FreeDOS (i think it works with a couple of other OS's too).

https://www.grc.com/bootable.htm