Old Cameras

I have a closet full of old Nikon F-mount lenses from my film camera days. I also have a teenaged granddaughter who is interested in learning about real photography (no not on a smartphone.)

So I decided to get an old digital SLR from KEH (the used camera folks.) Something like the Nikon D90 is cheap as chips these days.

It's bad for video but still you can get great still photos - and it works with all these great old film lenses. We'll see how it goes with my granddaughter. I can use the old camera and let her try my more modern Nikon.

• Like 1

abarbarian

Neat. I got a old manual telephoto lens for my Pentax K 30 can not remember if I had to have a adapter plate or not. Did some very nice boho effect pictures with it. Was as cheap as chips compared with a modern lens for the K 30. 😎

I have a Nikon 5500 DSLR which will meter and operate OK with the old lenses - but will not autofocus unless the motor is in the lens. The older Nikons will work with autofocus on the older lenses. Manual focus is a problem for my aging eyes, although most lenses have a focusing scale. 

Most of the improvements in cameras these days is in the area of video, and they are all mirrorless now. The old DSLRs are great for still photography - and that is what I want to do with them.

• Like 1

DSC_0002-scaled.jpg

Here is the old (new to me) Nikon D90 at work. The lens I used here is a 1993 Nikkor 35-80 zoom which is now working perfectly in Autofocus mode. This lens isn't the greatest for build quality but it has pretty good optics. I have a number of old Nikon prime lenses which I'll try out one of these days.

• Like 1

abarbarian
On 2/7/2024 at 1:43 PM, raymac46 said:

but will not autofocus unless the motor is in the lens

The old lens I got will not auto focus at all when on the K30. It is still packed away and I can not find any receipts for it either. Seems I can not find any pictures I took with it either apart from this one I was using as a wallpaper.

ZgJnNLW.png

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

My complete index of knowledge regarding photography:

- point

- click button

- send film to be developed

and later...

- sit back and wonder what the H3LL that pic was supposed to be whilst looking through recently developed photos.

• Like 1

abarbarian
On 2/9/2024 at 4:22 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

My complete index of knowledge regarding photography:

- point

- click button

- send film to be developed

and later...

- sit back and wonder what the H3LL that pic was supposed to be whilst looking through recently developed photos.

Now it looks more like,

---- point

----click several hundred times

----download to pc

and later...

-----delete -delete-delete-delete-delete-save-delete-delete-delete-delete-save-delete--etc

-----sit back and wonder what the H3LL you were taking a picture of in the first place

😂

• Like 1