Problems installing CMUS on a Raspberry Pi

wa4chq

Greeetings all.  I'm using a Rasberry Pi as a music server.  Originally I had CMUS, a terminal based music player installed and working fine.  I don't remember exactly when it quit working but it's been several months.  I ended up installing MP3BLASTER and all has been good.  But I'm curious why there are problems.  Just a few minutes ago, I tried installing CMUS again.  I don't want to install without finding out what this output means.  UPDATE: I am really OK with the way it is.  I don't need to fix it.  I was just curious.

W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/lib/apt/lists/auxfiles failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock

Thanks.  Have a great weekend.

Edited by wa4chq

V.T. Eric Layton

That all looks Ελληνικά για μένα.

I will say this, though... looks like Permissions issues for most of those fails above.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

That all looks Ελληνικά για μένα.

I will say this, though... looks like Permissions issues for most of those fails above.

Yeah, I noticed that.  It's just odd cuz I installed MP3BLASTER the exact same way...no issues.  I'm fine using what's working.  I just thought if I knew why it's doing it, I could finally sleep.🥱

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Install as root and see what happens.

That's how I do it.....well, here's what I do. 

sudo apt-get install cmus

I just noticed something else. 

[Sun 16] music-pi --> mc
Cannot create temporary directory /tmp/mc-pi: Read-only file system (30)
Temporary files will not be created
Press any key to continue...

MC opens after I press the "any" key.  But this is what I get if I try

[Sun 16] music-pi --> sudo mc
Failed to run:
Cannot create /root/.config/mc directory

As an experiment, I tried to install something that I haven't tried before.   I tried installing links.  I get the same garbled mess like I did with cmus.   I'm really OK with the way it is....all I use if for is to play music.  As you pointed out, there's an issue with Permissions.  What ever happened happened after I got the server going.  I feel confident that it's pilot error...seriously.🤓   I have a bad habit of adding stuff I'm really not gonna be using just because that's what I do.  When was the last time I used twin?

twin.jpg

Edited by wa4chq

securitybreach

I would run a filesystem check as Read-Only (I/O) errors could indicate a failing drive. Since this is your / partition/disk, you need to run fsck while booting a live environment.

• Agree 2
  • +1 1

38 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2422277

Would the above be helpful ? 😎

Thanks for the info, abarbarian.  One of the fellows responding to DougieFresh4U's problem (which sounds just like mine) says that it's possible it's a failing hard drive.  That makes sense in my situation becuz the hard drive is a micro SD card.  I think knowing my track record for toasting my Linux setups, I'm just gonna live with it.  Probably the simplest (and the most safe) solution for me is to get another micro SD card and do a fresh Raspi install.  After that, I promise I will only install two extra things on the fresh install and that will be 'cmus' and 'alsamixer'.  Wait, I gotta add 'ranger' to the mix and if all still works, I better add 'mp3blaster' as a back up.  Just in case I wanna surf the net from the cli, I better add 'lynx' too.  ;)   tnx ab

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I would run a filesystem check as Read-Only (I/O) errors could indicate a failing drive. Since this is your / partition/disk, you need to run fsck while booting a live environment.

Hey SB...I think you are correct about the failing drive.  See my last post, sent at the same time as yours..... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crp said:

i wonder if /tmp exists and what it thinks its permissions is if it does.

/tmp exists and it thinks it's 777.  So glad it wasn't 666!

3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

/tmp should ONLY be Read, Write, Execute (777) for Root.

yes, /tmp on the problem-ish RPi is 777 for Root.