State of the Linux Junker Union

raymac46

Since I have been doing some IT lately I thought I'd review what's in my Linux junker museum. All of these still work so well I don't want to throw them away. Well there's one exception I guess.

1. Dell Inspiron 530 (2008)

Core 2 Duo CPU Nvidia GTX950 GPU, 8 GB DDR2, SSD - upgraded and ugly. Runs Spiral Linux LXQt.

2. Toshiba NB305 Netbook (2010) 

Teetering on the edge of recycling - Atom CPU 2 GB RAM. Runs Arch Linux Xfce.

3. Thinkpad T430 (2012)

Ivy Bridge i5 CPU 12 GB RAM SSD. A gem of a junker. Runs Debian Bookworm GNOME.

4. Lenovo Flex2 -15D (2014)

Quad Core AMD, 8GB RAM, SSD. It's OK but its wifi sucks.  Runs Lubuntu 22 LTS.

5. Homebuilt Desktop System (2013)

AMD Bulldozer A8 Quad Core, 16 GB RAM, SSD and HDD, AMD R7360 GPU. About as good as it gets in the junkerverse. Can't believe how powerful it still is. Runs Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon.

6. Real Piece of Clone Junk (2006)

I do have an older desktop AMD X2 4600 box from 2006 but it's too old to upgrade. It was my very first all Linux all the time machine and I keep it around for sentimental reasons. About the only thing worth reusing is the case and power supply. I believe I have an old copy of Linux Mint Xfce on it.

• Like 3
  • +1 1

SpiralLinux1
19 hours ago, raymac46 said:

1. Dell Inspiron 530 (2008)

Core 2 Duo CPU Nvidia GTX950 GPU, 8 GB DDR2, SSD - upgraded and ugly. Runs Spiral Linux LXQt.

SpiralLinux creator here. Very cool! Can I ask if you're using the proprietary Nvidia driver or the open source one?

1 hour ago, SpiralLinux1 said:

SpiralLinux creator here. Very cool! Can I ask if you're using the proprietary Nvidia driver or the open source one?

Oh on this old junker I just stick with Nouveau. I'm not doing any gaming and the video card is pretty antique.