My first Arch Linux..Sort of

jolphil

Hi All,

After all these years with Linux Mint ,I decided to try Arch. Well not really, but but an easier installer version called "RebornOS"  . I have an older home built computer and downloaded the LTS version. It used a network install and because of my slower network took about an hour  to install.  ALL WENT WELL.  That was a big surprise for me because at 87, I  manage to muck things up more and more. There are various DE's available but at this point I stuck with cinnamon . Actually it is very slick.

If I need suggestions or help I will not hesitate to come here for advice.

jolphil

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 7:52 PM, jolphil said:

ALL WENT WELL.

As Reborn OS is a rolling release you will have to do regular updates, at a minimum once a fortnight or weekly, to keep it in good shape. also making a backup of your system before every update is a very good idea, just in case something does go wrong with the update.

I hope I am still able to use and understand computing if I reach 87.😎

• Like 2

Kudos to you. I'm not sure at 87, if I'm alive and understanding things that I'd want to tackle installing a new distros.

I'm in my 70's and quite content to just use a device and not tweak it. That's one of the reasons I bought a chromebook. Everything goes on behind my back and I'm asked from time to time to reboot for the update to take place.

securitybreach

Jolphil, how is RebornOS treating you??

I highly doubt we will be computing in the same way in 37 years when I am 80 so who knows, I might be doing something crazy technical. With the advances in science and technology, we could live to 150 by then... Just a thought..