PC Health Check app for Windows 11 Update

Corrine

With all of the excitement for Windows 11, many users have already run the PC Health Check app to find out if their current PC is eligible to upgrade to Windows 11.

Although I was happy that my PC is eligible, when others ran the app, they received the following indication:

This%2BPC%2Bcan%2527t%2Brun%2BWindows%2B

If you received the above notification, you may want to download a fresh copy of the PC Health Check app because it has already been updated.  In fact, according to Steve Dispensa, VP of PM, Microsoft Endpoint Manager and Windows Commercial on Twitter:

We've just released an updated PC Health Check app here: https://microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11?OCID=pchc_windows_app_omc_win… Navigate lower down to the “Check for Compatibility” section and click “Download app” We still have more work to do, but this version shows more information about why a device is ineligible.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like I won't be getting Win 11.  My two desktop boxes have AM4 MBs with Ryzen APUs and the Check app says they are both lacking TPM.  On my HP Elitebook, it says my Intel i7 processor isn't supported.

I'm OK. My Windows laptop is about 15 months old and my desktop is only a couple of months old. I got a green light from PC Health Check.

2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Looks like I will not be eligible for Windows 11 as my Intel i7-6700k does not qualify. Shame as it is only six years old. 😎

Ditto:

Processor    Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020T @ 2.50GHz, 2500 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

Also six years old (the Health Check App says 5)

Cannot find anything related to PTT in the Bios.

I think this is going to be another case of MS "shooting themselves in the foot".  My AMD MB is only a few months old and it doesn't qualify because of missing TPM..  There actually is an "addon" module for the board but it is "out of stock" everywhere I've looked.  And even if I could find one, it cost as much as I paid for the MB itself.  And my 2018 HP Elitebook's i7 CPU fails.

I also am unable to upgrade to Windows 11. For me, it says I don't have secure boot. I looked into it and read up on legacy BIOS and UEFI because my system is booting on legacy and my motherboard supports UEFI, but I don't think it'll help because my processor isn't listed in the compatible list. I have an AMD A8-7600 APU.

For now, the PC Health Check App has been removed.  From Update on Windows 11 minimum system requirements | Windows Insider Blog:

PC Health Check App

With these minimum system requirements in mind, the PC Health Check app was intended to help people check if their current Windows 10 PC could upgrade to Windows 11. Based on the feedback so far, we acknowledge that it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn’t meet upgrade requirements. We are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall. In the meantime, you can visit our minimum system requirements page here to learn more.

• +1 1

Hopefully they add more, like TPM detection. I figured out how to check my system but having the info there would be easier. (My system does not have a TPM.) So this desktop will probably end up like my last system, it'll outlast Windows support and end up as a Linux PC until the hardware fails. My last desktop was 14 years old before it couldn't boot properly anymore.

Things aren't as bad as they first appeared for me.  It seems my AMD desktops, with Ryzen APUs, DO have TPM.  But it has to be enabled in the BIOS.  My HP Elitebook's processor still isn't compatible.  Just read an article that said MS's top of the line Surface, costing over $3,500, isn't compatible either!!!

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Bookmem said:

It seems the devs in the XDA forums have found a way to install Win 11 on older hardware.  XDA link

I don't know whether MS is backing down or I just stumbled across a patched Win 11 iso but I downloaded the one from Softonic and it works on older hardware.  It worked as a direct upgrade on my HP Elitebook with a gen 7 CPU.  On a much older Athlon box, I had to do a clean install because the Win 10 install wasn't setup with secure boot.  But the clean install, using the old Win 10 key, did install and activate.