OpenSuse 15.2 Install

ebrke

I'm getting a little frustrated with glitches during my last two installs, but OpenSuse and I have been together so long I know I'll just put up with it. 

First I tried to install from the first floor of the house using my Netgear Ethernet Bridge, since I always do Suse's network install--the full download has scads of software I don't use and the net install doesn't download until you've made your software selections. Anyway, that was a bust for some reason. The install process did set up eth0 successfully but the graphical install software wouldn't finish loading--just died at 9%. After two tries, I figured the next move was down to the basement where I can connect directly to the router. My basement is cool and damp right now, not the environment for a person just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. Next attempt to run the installation went well until it tried to probe the HD. When I came back in 20 minutes and it was still "probing", I knew that was a bust and terminated the install.  Tried the install media on another system and breezed through the HD probe. Back to the system I wanted to upgrade, I ran the install yet again and this time got through with no issue on HD probe. After that, things went smoothly. 

Guess I shouldn't complain--Suse has served me very well since 2003! And at least I'm up to date for a while now. 

• Like 1
  • +1 1

You do have a point. I honestly haven't done that since the net install option became available. It has seemed unnecessary with the minimal download for the net install and for years I didn't have an issue. Next time I probably should.

Edited by ebrke
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
16 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Even a small iso can be corrupted.

Especially if you d-loaded via a shaky wifi connection.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I did use wi-fi for the d-load. Next time I'll download with eth0 and check the md5sum. You do get careless when things seem to be working okay.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, ebrke said:

I did use wi-fi for the d-load. Next time I'll download with eth0 and check the md5sum. You do get careless when things seem to be working okay.

I'm so used to it, I check them all even if it's just testing in VirtManager.