A Lighthearted Look at Linux Users

raymac46

Well I work on window's systems M-F at work so I am used to their bloated and buggy environment

I can certainly see that working on Windows all day as an IT Professional would make you want something completely different in your spare time.

I was forced to use Windows at work but I was not tasked with maintaining it. Besides that was back in the NT4 days.

As a retiree I found that the Windows 7 layout and menu was fine for me. I even use OpenShell to maintain that look and feel with Windows 10. No apps, no live tiles.

When it comes to Linux I always gravitate to that same layout - taskbar/system tray at the bottom, icons on the panel, start button of some type. The exception is in GNOME but I've still got a honking big dock at the bottom with all my favorite icons on it.

I suppose that is why I like Linux Mint. All the LM desktops I've used look like that. And of course that is the default layout for LXQt.

securitybreach

Well that has only been for the last 6 years. Before that, I had not used windows in well over a decade. I was using tiling environments long before this job.

• Like 1

securitybreach

That and I have a linux machine at work as well, so its not just windows. It's just my main work machine runs Win 10 Enterprise.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, raymac46 said:

One Window Maker dockapp I cannot use is the system monitor. How can you read a 64X64 pixel monitor?

Which one are you referring to ?

On 4/12/2021 at 12:26 PM, raymac46 said:

I think it is WmSysMon. I may not be using it properly.

https://github.com/voyageur/wmsysmon

If it is the one above this may help,

For information on running wmsysmon, execute 'wmsysmon -h'

Mind you it looks to me as though it is doing too many things. Do you really need to know about swap these days ? You might find it easier to install a couple of dock apps that do just one or two things.

https://www.dockapps.net/

😎

• Like 1