It's good to be aware

securitybreach

securitybreach

I found this great security and privacy document on github.io and thought you all would like it:

Introduction:

Making a social media account with a pseudonym or artist/brand name is easy. And it’s enough is most use cases to protect your identity as the next George Orwell. There are plenty of people using pseudonyms all over Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/LinkedIn/TikTok/Snapchat/Reddit/… But the vast majority of those are anything but anonymous and can easily be traced to their real identity by your local cops, random people within the OSINT1 (Open-Source Intelligence) community and trolls2 on 4chan3.

This is a good thing as most criminals/trolls are not really tech savvy and will be identified with ease. But this is also a bad thing as most political dissidents, human rights activists and whistleblowers can also be tracked rather easily.

This updated guide aims to provide introduction to various tracking techniques, id verification techniques and guidance to creating and maintaining anonymous identities online including social media accounts safely.

Will this guide help you protect yourself from the NSA, the FSB, Mark Zuckerberg or the Mossad if they’re out to find you? Probably not … Mossad will be doing “Mossad things” 4 and will probably find you no matter how hard to try to hide5.

image1.jpeg

(Illustration by xkcd.com, licensed under CC BY-NC 2.5)

Will this guide help you protect your privacy from OSINT researchers like Belingcat7 , Doxing8 trolls on 4chan9 and others that have no access to the NSA toolbox? More likely. Tho I wouldn’t be so sure about 4chan.

It’s also important to understand this guide is the humble result of years of experience, learning and testing from a single individual (myself) and that many of those systems that aim to prevent anonymity are opaque proprietary closed-source systems. Most of those guidelines are guessed based on experience or based on referenced studies and recommendations by other experts. These experiences take a lot of time and resources and are sometimes far from being scientific. Your mileage may vary (a lot).

You might think this guide has no legitimate use but there are many1011 such as:

• Evading Censorship

• Evading Oppression

• Evading Unlawful Government Surveillance

• Whistle Blowing

• Journalism

• Activism

This guide is written for those good intended individuals who might not be knowledgeable enough to consider the big picture of online anonymity.

This guide is not intended for:

• Creating machine accounts of any kind (bots).

• Creating impersonation accounts of existing people (such as identity theft).

• Helping malicious individuals conduct unlawful or unethical activities (such as trolling).

• Use by minors.

f you go through with this long read including the many references, I believe you’ll understand most of the current online privacy and anonymity issues.

Feel free to report issues, recommend improvements or start a discussion on the GitHub repository if you want.

Use at your own risk. Anything in here is not legal advice and you should verify compliance with your local law before use (IANAL12). 

You have to consider your threat model6 before going further......

https://anonymousplanet.github.io/thgtoa/guide.html

https://anonymousplanet.github.io/thgtoa/guide.html

• +1 3

Some really interesting stuff and some pretty useful tips too. I might have imlemented this sort of stuff years ago but do not really need to these days. As I am Mr clean and respectable.

Strange that Brave is given along with TOR as a safer way to browse the net !

From the above link,

Setting up a safe Browser on your Host OS:

This guide will recommend using Tor browser within the host OS because it has the best protections by default. The only other acceptable option in my opinion would be to use Brave Browser (with a Tor tab) but keep in mind that themselves recommend the use of Tor Browser if you feel your safety depends on being anonymous165: “ With Tor, Brave works hard to ensure that you’re extremely difficult to track online while providing a delightful browsing experience. But if your personal safety depends on remaining anonymous you may wish to use the Tor Browser instead. “.

😎