Debian and VirtualBox

raymac46

Well Debian doesn't support VirtualBox as a host, but there's no reason you can't install it as a guest on a system that does. I am using Windows 10 to host a Linux distro so I thought I'd give Debian Buster a spin.

• You can use the netinstall mini-iso if you want. The Curses based installer works better than the graphical one.
  • I chose the LXQt desktop as my preferred way to roll. 
  • After installation you have a relatively small screen resolution. You need to put in the Guest Additions.
  • To install Guest Additions first install build-essential and then dkms. Add in the Guest Additions iso from VBox and mount it at /mnt/cdrom. Then run the shell script to build the modules you need. After reboot the Guest additions work to give you a full screen LXQt desktop.
  • I added in Chromium browser after that.
  • My user was not in the sodoers file so sudo didn't work. I had to run sudo visudo as root to add myself in as an administrator. Then sudo works.
  • The default Buster LXQt desktop uses XFWM4 as the window manager which is just what I wanted.

I'll continue to experiment with Debian in VBox and may install it on the rails if I like it.

1 hour ago, raymac46 said:

Well Debian doesn't support VirtualBox as a host, but there's no reason you can't install it as a guest on a system that does. I am using Windows 10 to host a Linux distro so I thought I'd give Debian Buster a spin.

• You can use the netinstall mini-iso if you want. The Curses based installer works better than the graphical one.
  • I chose the LXQt desktop as my preferred way to roll. 
  • After installation you have a relatively small screen resolution. You need to put in the Guest Additions.
  • To install Guest Additions first install build-essential and then dkms. Add in the Guest Additions iso from VBox and mount it at /mnt/cdrom. Then run the shell script to build the modules you need. After reboot the Guest additions work to give you a full screen LXQt desktop.
  • I added in Chromium browser after that.
  • My user was not in the sodoers file so sudo didn't work. I had to run sudo visudo as root to add myself in as an administrator. Then sudo works.
  • The default Buster LXQt desktop uses XFWM4 as the window manager which is just what I wanted.

I'll continue to experiment with Debian in VBox and may install it on the rails if I like it.

It might not be in the Debian repos, but if you go to virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads, you'll find versions for Debian 8, 9 and 10.

Edited by Bookmem
  • Thanks 1