Home> Storage 400 TB Storage Drives In Our Future: Fujifilm

securitybreach

securitybreach

One of the two leading manufacturers of tape cartridge storage, FujiFilm, claims that they have a technology roadmap through to 2030 which builds on the current magnetic tape paradigm to enable 400 TB per tape. AnandTech reports: As reported by Chris Mellor of Blocks and Files, Fujifilm points to using Strontium Ferrite grains in order to enable an areal data density on tape of 224 Gbit-per-square-inch, which would enable 400 TB drives. IBM and Sony have already demonstrated 201 Gbit-per-square-inch technology in 2017, with a potential release of the technology for high volume production in 2026. Current drives are over an order of magnitude smaller, at 8 Gbit-per-square-inch, however the delay between research and mass production is quite significant.

Strontium Ferrite would replace Barium Ferrite in current LTO cartridges. Strontium sits on a row above Barium in the periodic table, indicating a much smaller atom. This enables for much smaller particles to be placed into tracks, and thankfully according to Fujifilm, Strontium Ferrite exhibits properties along the same lines as Barium Ferrite, but moreso, enabling higher performance while simultaneously increasing particle density. [...] Fujifilm states that 400 TB is the limit of Strontium Ferrite, indicating that new materials would be needed to go beyond. That said, we are talking about only 224 Gbit-per-square-inch for storage, which compared to mechanical hard disks going beyhind 1000 Gbit-per-square-inch today, there would appear to be plenty of room at the top if the technologies could converge.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/20/06/30/218251/400-tb-storage-drives-in-our-future-fujifilm

I need 6 of these to start with.... B)

V.T. Eric Layton

You definitely have a bad case of Data Hoarding Disorder. You need some counseling, I think. ;)

securitybreach

Not really. Movies nowadays are around 10gb but a Blu-ray rip may be 60gb. I usually watch the 10gb versions.

Hello,

FujiFilm is talking about tape drives, not hard disk drives.  Also, there's no mention of how fast reads or writes will be with the new tapes. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 3:52 AM, securitybreach said:

Not really. Movies nowadays are around 10gb but a Blu-ray rip may be 60gb. I usually watch the 10gb versions.

You realise it's possible to delete movies after you watch them? 😉😀

I find a good 720p rip in HEVC is almost indistinguishable from a HD or BR rip when you're sitting several metres from the screen, and can be under 1GB. Maybe if you're sitting up close to a giant 75" TV you may be able to spot the difference.

securitybreach
26 minutes ago, sunrat said:

You realise it's possible to delete movies after you watch them? 😉😀

I find a good 720p rip in HEVC is almost indistinguishable from a HD or BR rip when you're sitting several metres from the screen, and can be under 1GB. Maybe if you're sitting up close to a giant 75" TV you may be able to spot the difference.

Well I keep what I want and delete what I do not. If I tried to watch a small 720p movie, it would either be letterboxed or stretched when fullscreen which kills the quality of a movie. Anything less than 1080 is pixilated or not fullscreen.

securitybreach
21 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

FujiFilm is talking about tape drives, not hard disk drives.  Also, there's no mention of how fast reads or writes will be with the new tapes. 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yeah but tapes are the still best method for long term storage. They can last for up to 30 years unlike spinning drives or solid state ones:

https://www.ironmountain.com/resources/general-articles/d/disk-vs-tape-which-ones-game-for-the-long-term

• Like 1