Jeber

I'm currently test-driving CyberGhost VPN on both my Mac and Windows machines. The pricing is excellent and the reviews were positive. It's #4 on Tom's Hardware list of the best VPNs.

However, I'm noticing two issues that are making me a little crazy, or crazier than normal. 

Frequently, like several times and hour, I'll get a notification that the server can't be reached. Yet switching to a different wireless network resolves the issue, which leads me to believe it's not a server issue but rather that it's rendering the network it was using useless, and now it need another network. Could be a port issue or...?

And redirects never load. At times even direct links have problems, but trying to open a linked page from within a website always fails. 

So are these issues unique to CyberGhost or are they fundamental issues with modern VPNs? I understand the concept of VPNs but have always shied away from using them, opting instead for safe browsing practices and a good AV app. But now that I'm no longer working and will be connecting from restaurants and coffee shops (when we're once again able to do that) I thought I'd look into VPNs. Most reviews are unreliable, being more paid advertisements than honest reviews. I want one that works on both platforms I use, doesn't log at all, and offers a good number of servers and countries. I'm only using it on my iPhone, laptops, and tablets. 

So what are you all using or would recommend? Any suggestions on settings to change to improve performance? 

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 minutes ago, Jeber said:

...or are they fundamental issues with modern VPNs?

I can attest that this is definitely NOT normal for VPNs. I never had any issues with Private Internet Access VPN like these you're having here.

Also, the MAIN and critical importance of a VPN is the fact that your data (every stitch of it is completely hidden by high-level encryption from the instant it leaves your computer to the instant it is received by the VPN exit node. Once that trip is made, the data (your browser requests, DNS data, etc.) leave the exit node and go out into the great wide Internet world. No website or hacker can see any  of this data or manipulate it in any way as long as you are in the VPN "tunnel". This is the primary function of a VPN.

I can't really speculate on the operating systems' handling of your VPN setup because I'm unfamiliar with Mac and not-as-familiar as I used to be with Windows. Hopefully, someone here can advise you further, @Jeber.

• Thanks 1

securitybreach

I've been using Mullvad since PIA was acquired last year. Mullvad is very fast and only costs $5 a month. They do not want your name or email address and you can even send them cash with a generated token if you desire. I have tried various VPNs and most cannot give me fast enough speeds. Mullvad gives me about 80% of my gigabit internet. They offer openvpn configs, their client and also wireguard as well. https://mullvad.net/en/

• Like 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Yeah, those are not normal behaviors for a VPN. Perhaps that is just a crappy vpn or you need to change servers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm testing ExpressVPN currently and may try those you suggested. Express has good reviews and no logging, so we'll see. 

The worst part using a VPN? When you get an email saying, "Your account was accessed from an unfamiliar location: Helsinki. If this was you...".

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't access any of my email accounts (oh, except ProtonMail) from the websites, so I never experienced this issue when I was running PIA. I use Thunderbird to access my numerous accounts. Maybe because I was using remote access (POP3, IMAP), I did not have issues with this.

securitybreach

I've never gotten that either but I do use one of the servers in my country due to speed and ping.