Jump to content
raymac46

SD Cards

Recommended Posts

securitybreach

Well I do live at the bottom of the map and its swamp land

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

Last one, I promise

 

em3BOmV.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

Oooh, pictures! Here's one of my Bootsie Kitty...

 

P2rDxzp.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

Purty kitty!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46

Lots of cat lovers here. Does that show our intelligence? 😎

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

Lots of cat lovers here. Does that show our intelligence? 😎

 

Perhaps or maybe it's the Cat's intelligence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46

I wonder how intelligent I am when I try to decipher all the stuff on an SD Card. Or is that SDHC or SDXC?

Capacity is measured in base 10 rather than base 2 so 64GB is really 59.7 GB.

Read speed is reading from the card.

Write speed is writing to the card.

C10 and U3 are different write speeds but both can appear on the card.

633X is a comparison to the oldest CD-ROM you can have.

UHS can refer to speed and type of design at the same time.

And don't even get me started on V30.

Based on all this info I probably got WAAY more card than I need but since each one cost me about $12 US I'm not too worried about it.

Edited by raymac46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

It's too early for all that thinking.... I am still trying to wake up and I have been up for like 3 hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zlim

Ray, if you know the difference between base 10 and base 2, you are way more intelligent than most people I see posting who complain that the hard drive only shows x amount of capacity when they bought y amount of capacity. Try to explain and I can picture the eyes glazing over. I stop and say, that's correct, you didn't get robbed.

 

As far as sd cards, you can never have too much storage. I was looking for a card to store slides I had scanned. I wrote them to two data CDs; there was just too much to fit on one CD. As I priced the cards, I decided to buy USB sticks instead because they were so much cheaper than the cards.

 

I have movies stored on sd cards because 3 of our netbooks have sd slots and it is way easier to carry a case of sd cards than it is to carry DVDs!

The tablets take micro sd cards so I've moved some to those. I also store books I've downloaded from https://www.fadedpage.com/ to a micro  sd card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Lots of cat lovers here. Does that show our intelligence? 😎

 

Not necessarily. It does however demonstrate how smart the cats are for picking us to be their servants/minions. ;)

  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

 

Not necessarily. It does however demonstrate how smart the cats are for picking us to be their servants/minions. ;)

 

 

Yes! :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46
1 hour ago, zlim said:

Ray, if you know the difference between base 10 and base 2, you are way more intelligent than most people I see posting who complain that the hard drive only shows x amount of capacity when they bought y amount of capacity. Try to explain and I can picture the eyes glazing over. I stop and say, that's correct, you didn't get robbed.

 

As far as sd cards, you can never have too much storage. I was looking for a card to store slides I had scanned. I wrote them to two data CDs; there was just too much to fit on one CD. As I priced the cards, I decided to buy USB sticks instead because they were so much cheaper than the cards.

 

I have movies stored on sd cards because 3 of our netbooks have sd slots and it is way easier to carry a case of sd cards than it is to carry DVDs!

The tablets take micro sd cards so I've moved some to those. I also store books I've downloaded from https://www.fadedpage.com/ to a micro  sd card.

I have bookmarked the free book site. It looks great. When it comes to binary there are 10 types of people...those who understand it and those who do not. 🤣

  • +1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46

20190915_165858-e1568641716328.jpg

 

This guy is plenty smart, believe me. That is my computer chair he's hogging.

  • Like 1
  • +1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach

I got a free 200gb MicroSD card a few years ago as a promo for one of the phones I got.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
securitybreach
1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

20190915_165858-e1568641716328.jpg

 

This guy is plenty smart, believe me. That is my computer chair he's hogging.

 

Pretty Kitty

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHAHA! I'm laughing about your cat, Ray, because my Bootsie will jump in this chair even if I'm only gone for a minute to refill my coffee. Oh, the look I get when I come back and have to shoo her out of the chair. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
abarbarian
11 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

HAHAHAHA! I'm laughing about your cat, Ray, because my Bootsie will jump in this chair even if I'm only gone for a minute to refill my coffee. Oh, the look I get when I come back and have to shoo her out of the chair. ;)

Mr Spooky does the same which in this cold weather is great as he keeps  my seat warm for me. 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
raymac46

Just to sum up, the SD cards I currently have in my cameras are more than sufficient for my needs and even give me some future proofing.

  • Transfer speeds are more than adequate for USB 3 and my main desktop uses USB 2. Still plenty fast.
  • Storage capacity allows me an insane amount of images. I shoot JPG not RAW so the file sizes are smaller.
  • Neither one of my cameras supports 4K video - not that I care - so I have plenty of write speed.
  • Write speed from the camera buffer for burst mode still photography is fine as well.

I have about the fastest UHS-1 technology you can get and the cameras don't support UHS-2 so I think I am good to go.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
V.T. Eric Layton

Ah! Back on topic. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...