Mozilla's venerable email client Thunderbird finds a new home to roost

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach
44 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

They'll be hearing from me as soon as I hit that lottery jackpot... maybe tonight. :)

:thumbup:

• Agree 1

securitybreach

I do not know if this will be a good move or not:

Mozilla said that Thunderbird will continue to remain free and open source, but by moving the project away from its foundation into a corporate entity they will be able to monetize the product and pay for its development easier than before. Currently, Thunderbird is primarily being kept alive through charitable donations from the product's userbase. "Moving to MZLA Technologies Corporation will not only allow the Thunderbird project more flexibility and agility, but will also allow us to explore offering our users products and services that were not possible under the Mozilla Foundation," said Philipp Kewisch, Mozilla Product Manager. "The move will allow the project to collect revenue through partnerships and non-charitable donations, which in turn can be used to cover the costs of new products and services," Kewisch added.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-moves-to-monetize-thunderbird-transfers-project-to-new-subsidiary/

• Confused 1

V.T. Eric Layton

From the article linked by me in the original post:

But the corporation is quick to point out that the focus of the software will remain the same. So, in short, Thunderbird's future is both safe and exciting.

We'll see...

• Like 2