Nividia driver with Mint 19.3

Bookmem

I'm running Mint 19.3 with the latest updates.  If I run the Driver Manager and install the recommended Nvidia driver, my computer keeps rebooting itself when I try to stream videos or even browse a page with embeded video.  But when I revert to Nouveau display driver, everything seems to be OK.

V.T. Eric Layton

What is your vid card? And what version of Nvidia drivers is Mint installing?

The reason I ask is because Nvidia has been a bit slow to update legacy drivers to be compatible with the newer kernels in Linux.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

What is your vid card? And what version of Nvidia drivers is Mint installing?

The reason I ask is because Nvidia has been a bit slow to update legacy drivers to be compatible with the newer kernels in Linux.

The video is Getforce 8400 and the driver is version 340.107.  It is a vairly old card.  I'm not a fan of fancy graphics cards.

• Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton

According to Nvidia's driver search site, the newest driver (the one that's been updated for the newer kernels) is:

Version: 340.108
Release Date:

If that's not in your Mint 19.3 repos, you'll either have to wait for it to show there or you'll have to install from Nvidia manually.

Just now, V.T. Eric Layton said:

According to Nvidia's driver search site, the newest driver (the one that's been updated for the newer kernels) is:

Version: 340.108
Release Date:

If that's not in your Mint 19.3 repos, you'll either have to wait for it to show there or you'll have to install from Nvidia manually.

I don't really mind waiting.  The Nouveau driver is working fine.  I'm just wondering why Mint would recommend a buggy driver.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

They probably just haven't updated the repos yet. Although, that updated Nvidia drive was put out on 23 December just past. That's a month+ already.

Stick with Nouveau if it works. I have a GTX560 Ti that freezes occasionally with Nvidia driver. No such issue with Nouveau and display is fine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
8 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Stick with Nouveau if it works.

True! If you don't need 16000fps like I get with Nvidia, then just stick with Nouveau. I'd prefer to use Nouveau if I could get full monitor-capable resolution (1680X1050) with it, but I can't. :(