Issues With Comcast Email Server

ebrke

Maybe my months-long angst over this issue  with Comcast email will help someone else in the future.

I've been unable to connect to my Comcast email account through Thunderbird for months. I've had to use Comcast's web mail. After a new install of OpenSuSE 15.1, I was setting up Thunderbird for other email providers and made a real effort to search for a solution for this problem. Finally, after discarding suggestions such as setting up the email account off-line (didn't work), changing the imap server to a rather suspicious server name or refreshing libnss (possible ramifications beyond my skill set) I found the solution.

Comcast doesn't support IPv6 at this time. Thunderbird's config file entry for network.dns.disableIPv6 has to be changed to true (default setting is false).

In Thunderbird, go to Edit>Preferences>General Tab.

On the General screen, select "Advanced" tab > "General" subtab, and in the lower right corner find the button "Config Editor"

Click on it, acknowledge the warning, and scroll down to: network.dns.disableIPv6 (default: false).

Double-click on the line, and the value will change to "true"

Back out, shut down and restart Thunderbird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach

Thanks for the post but I have one question is ask...why in the world are you using your ISPs mail services?

I could get into a long rant about why doing so is a bad idea, but I am not going to ruin the post,  B)

V.T. Eric Layton

Meh... I used my ISP's (or what used to be my ISP) email still. My Verizon.net email addresses were first removed from the Verizon servers and added to Yahoo's servers (Verizon had bought Yahoo by that time). Then later, when Verizon was selling their Florida, Texas, and California FIOS networks to Frontier, they dumped everyone's emails into AOL's lap. So now, my verizon.net emails are actually on AOL servers.

Clear as mud, huh?

Anyway, is any email really secure anymore? Maybe Proton?

So, Elizabeth... FANTASTIC job of resolving your issue. By the way, just out of curiosity, does Comcast offer POP3 access instead of IMAP? It's not as secure, but what the hey... it's simpler and works well.

• Like 1

securitybreach

I've used @riseup.net for a couple of years now myself. I was using a bunch of gmail accounts until I google drove me away..

V.T. Eric Layton

I've only ever had one gmail account and I use it mostly for newsletters and such. I rarely ever communicate with anyone using it. I mostly send using my Yahoo or Hotmail accounts. Sadly, I can't get anyone to use encrypted emails with me... the lazy bastages. Also sad, but I haven't logged into my Proton account in ages. If they offered POP/IMAP with their service I would use it primarily for communications, but I think that is still only available to paying users. :(

securitybreach

I do not use email to communicate with people. I use it for mailing lists, notifications and sending myself stuff to read later.

17 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Thanks for the post but I have one question is ask...why in the world are you using your ISPs mail services?

I could get into a long rant about why doing so is a bad idea, but I am not going to ruin the post,  B)

Short answer is for stuff that isn't important. I feel it's better to use it for crap so I don't find someone else has taken it over, although supposedly they would notify me if that happened. I have several accounts like this that I've accumulated over the years. I do also have a protonmail account which I use for what I consider important stuff.

17 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

By the way, just out of curiosity, does Comcast offer POP3 access instead of IMAP? It's not as secure, but what the hey... it's simpler and works well.

Their instructions direct you to use imap, although before I lost connectivity I used POP3. When I was having trouble connecting, I was trying to do everything they specified (much good it did me) and I stuck to imap--I was just grateful I could connect at all.

• Like 1