Sharing Cable TV on the LAN

winston

Hi Well we have a LAN having around 50 computers all runnning windows Xp and connected using switches. One of the computers has a TV Tuner card and has a Cable TV connection. How can we share this connection on the network so that all the computers are able to watch the channels they want to? Moreover would a bandwidth of 100Mbps be sufficient for it..?If it is possible please explain in detail how go about setting it up, as I am a novice at this,.Thank You very much.. :'( Winston

You will need to split the signal to each of your machines and stick a TV tuner card in each one...Or Record the signal and then share the media file across the network. No way to share it live...

You will need to split the signal to each of your machines and stick a TV tuner card in each one...Or Record the signal and then share the media file across the network. No way to share it live...
Yes you can if you use ATI All-in-Wonder for the TV tuner and every client has an ATI Radeon graphics card. It's called EAZYSHARE! :'(

Yes you can if you use ATI All-in-Wonder for the TV tuner and every client has an ATI Radeon graphics card. It's called EAZYSHARE! :thumbsup:
Peachy;Bit of confusion here. Reading that page appears to say the any client can "change channels." But that *ALL* clients will view whatever video is being "streamed." Is this correct? Or can each client view a different charnel?Do you know how well it works over a 10mb wifi connect?

I haven't used the feature myself since I only have a single Radeon card in the house. (hmm, excuse to buy a X600...)

Client PC’s may request a live TV session or captured content playback from the server. This streamed session may be viewed by all clients. Controls are provided to support channel change requests from multiple clients, scheduling request conflicts as well as a network status utility. Refer to the MMC 8.8 User Guide for further details.
From the above it appears it is a first come first served idea. I'll have to read the manual.

ALL the pc's can watch the tv signal - but ONLY the one channel that is being streamed from the one with the tv card - all can watch the same channel, but you can't change channelsif they all had all-in-wonder cards, then the other suggestion would work, but they don't so you can't

nlinecomputers

If you could get mulitple channels bandwith wouldn't be enough for it. That's asking way to much of a 100mps network. Even 1gigabit networks would be pushed to provide that.

That EASYSHARE is pretty clever. I have an old RADEON card around somewhere I may experiment.A consideration though is the splitter. Some (Radio Shack) can cause problems with the signal strength if I recall. It's too bad the a video card couldn't automatically redirect the signal to the tv side and bypass the need for a splitter.