XP Windows Automatic Update

Rojoloho

When I go to the Control panel > Preformance & Maintenance > System > Automatic Update tab, I find that the page is "greyed out" with the message "The Windows service is unavailable." ;) Then tried Run > Services.MSC and scrolled to Automatic Update entry > double click and hit start... ;) Message : "Error 1083, The Excuutable Program that this service is configured to run does not implement the service." Any help would be appreciated!! :P

Have you tried going to Internet Explorer and then to the Tools and down to Update Windows? Now when you do that there is a link that if you follow it will set your computer to automatic update. Julia

Did you go in and find the box where it asks if you want to be sure to get the SP2? It sets your computer for automatic updates! Give that a try. I just did that on a computer this morning.Julia

That exactly what I tried and got the messages discribed in my original post..Neither the automatic or 3 step approach works...Upon completion of the "failed" 3 step approach. I received a screen that had an Microsoft 866 phone number to call for help...I tried the number but couldn't understand the person who was on the other end.Very foreign, probably Indian, but with such an heavy accent combined with my lousy hearing, it was going to be an impossible conversation..The "Help" person was having great difficulty with my problem.. Too much repeating and little forward progress.. I ended the conversation, maybe I'll try later!!

I can manually get the XP Windows updates with no problem..Its only the Automatic Update function that does not work..
When you manually update, are you seeing MS update screen V4 or V5.

Microsoft did state that when this change occurred, this service would not be available for pirated copies of XP, and put a lot of things in place to stop it. Even the known fake registration codes.This may not be and is probably not your case, but I do have to point it out.Ozi.

You probably won't believe this...Scott's newsletter started me in the right direction... One of you fine folks told me that a new newsletter had just been sent out..Read in the newsletter about the new version of Windows update..I downloaded it but it didn't help.. It did point to some Microsoft articles that concerned problems with automatic updates..One pointed to error 0x8007073B which said that registery entry was ppssibly lacking two entries..In Local_ Machine\ Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SvcHostYou need to make 2 entries BITS & WUAUSERVMade the entries and now is all well!!Thank one and all for the support & a big THANK YOU to Scott.. :huh:

I had the same problem and found a simpler method.Start / C'trl Panel / Performance and Maintenance / Administrative Tools / Services /Automatic Updates / Must be set to Automatic. Then place Radio dot where you desire.Reboot

In addition to balo's tip...Start>Run, and type in services.msc;orStart>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services >>> BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service):Must be set to at least a manual startup type.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you!! This conversation contained the answer I needed. I have three XP pro boxes on a home network, and recently went through my own version of "security tightening" based on info that I found from various places. Not surprisingly, I broke my computers and have spent approximately 2 weeks recovering.As part of my tightening, I disabled the BITS service only to find out later it was needed for Automatic Updates. On one of the computers, I tried re-starting it and got "Error 1083: The Executable Program that this service is configured to run does not implement the service." Doink?!?! What the...? It restarted on my other two, why not this one?The answer was that I was missing the BITS entry in my Registry as described in this conversation. >> ...error 0x8007073B which said that registery entry was possibly lacking two entries.. >> In Local_ Machine\ Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost >> You need to make 2 entries BITS & wuauservI'm not sure why it got removed from my registry on one and not the others. But after adding this entry and rebooting the computer, I was able to re-start the BITS service. Windows updates now downloads the updates to my machine like it's supposed to.In looking back, the error message said exactly what was wrong. The problem was finding that needle in the XP haystack which fixed the problem.Thanks,Tom

We seem to stagger from "Pillar to Post".....Xp is a blessing and a curse... In the "OLD DAYS"; DOS & Windows 3.1 took constant fixing, so we were very proficient in system maintenance..With XP, we have a very self sufficient product, which lulls us into "Arms of Morphus."We rarely have to deal with the inner workings, hence: we lose the knack of locating the problems..In my humble opinion that's why forums like Scot's prove to be invaluable.. Collectively, we stand a chance of "Slaying the Dragon."