Help I am a newby trying to get out of Microsoft's clutches

bootneck02

securitybreach

:clap: Well I have done it Zorin is installed on my PC, The first thing I have found that the PC is running a lot cooler than when running Windows, The sound card XONAR DS is not working so am having to use the mother board onboard sound card, audio is not as good as the XONAR one. I do not use Google but do not seem to be able to get the Firefox page up only Google :'( so have installed Ixquick toolbar and use that, I have been able to get on to Facebook so that is ok. The main thing is now to download my music about 1GB worth and pictures. :whistling:

The Audio is easily fixed as that card looks to be supported under linux, just go to Sound Setting --> Hardware and choose Xonar instead of the built in one.

BTW the firefox one is just a branded google search but if you really want it. These will help you on that quest:

https://support.mozi...-search-engines

https://support.mozi...refox-home-page

You think you have it bad, I have almost 1.5tb of media that gets backed up daily with a rsync script. Of course, it only backup new files so it basically mirrors my media folders... B)

bootneck02

Well the update is I have taken Zorin off, reasons:- Waterfox uses Google wouldent use snooping Google/CIA, its layout after the updates changed and became a little confusing to say the least and did not resemble the W7 OS and to be perfectly honest I think I would not get on with it. So do not despare I have reading up on Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit which is differnt to Windows and also not trying to mimic a Windows OS and would be a new learning curve all on its own which I think will be easier for me to conprehend, (the old grey matter is not as it used to be). All my thanks to all of you who have tried to help me but like the bad penny I will be back in the next couple of days. :ermm: :whistling:

• Like 1

Hedon James

It's all good bootneck. I recommended you stick with Zorin mostly because you brought it up and there was no good reason to talk you out of it...until now. Zorin is a good distro, but if you're already thinking you would "not get on with it" so early in the process, there's no use in forcing it. There are just too many good alternatives waiting for your discovery. FWIW, Mint is also a fine distro!

By all means, research Mint (or any other distro that looks to be of interest to you). But while you're in discovery and research mode, I'd recommend you learn how to create bootable Live Media for a hands-on experience with no fear of messing up your system.

Do you know how to download an ISO file and burn it to disk, thereby creating a LiveCD/DVD/USB. It's an excellent way to test a distro on your hardware, without making ANY permanent changes to your machine whatsoever, before you make an install decision. It's a great way to make sure all your hardware functions as expected, as well as form an opinion as to how much you like the distro (or not?!).

Here's a link to burn LiveDVD (usually still referred to as a CD, even though most distros no longer fit on a CD):

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/burn-a-dvd-on-windows

Here's a link to create a LiveUSB:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows

Please note that these instructions link to the Ubuntu distro, as I think Ubuntu's instructions are pretty clear for new users. But they are not unique nor specific to Ubuntu. You can use these instructions to download and burn ANY DISTRO of your choosing. Just substitute your downloaded distro ISO file in place of "Ubuntu" and you will be good to go!

• Like 1

securitybreach

Hedon: nice info but if he installed Zorin, I imagine he knows how to make a bootable disc or usb drive.

Hedon James

Hedon: nice info but if he installed Zorin, I imagine he knows how to make a bootable disc or usb drive.

Uhhh...you have a good point. I don't know what I was thinking... :th_run-around-smiley:

securitybreach

Uhhh...you have a good point. I don't know what I was thinking... :th_run-around-smiley:

Still good info :)

It's all good bootneck. I recommended you stick with Zorin mostly because you brought it up and there was no good reason to talk you out of it...until now. Zorin is a good distro, but if you're already thinking you would "not get on with it" so early in the process, there's no use in forcing it. There are just too many good alternatives waiting for your discovery. FWIW, Mint is also a fine distro!

By all means, research Mint (or any other distro that looks to be of interest to you). But while you're in discovery and research mode, I'd recommend you learn how to create bootable Live Media for a hands-on experience with no fear of messing up your system.

Do you know how to download an ISO file and burn it to disk, thereby creating a LiveCD/DVD/USB. It's an excellent way to test a distro on your hardware, without making ANY permanent changes to your machine whatsoever, before you make an install decision. It's a great way to make sure all your hardware functions as expected, as well as form an opinion as to how much you like the distro (or not?!).

Here's a link to burn LiveDVD (usually still referred to as a CD, even though most distros no longer fit on a CD):

http://www.ubuntu.co...-dvd-on-windows

Here's a link to create a LiveUSB:

http://www.ubuntu.co...tick-on-windows

Please note that these instructions link to the Ubuntu distro, as I think Ubuntu's instructions are pretty clear for new users. But they are not unique nor specific to Ubuntu. You can use these instructions to download and burn ANY DISTRO of your choosing. Just substitute your downloaded distro ISO file in place of "Ubuntu" and you will be good to go!

I still think learning to use VirtualBox is a much better way to get a feel for distros without having to burn CD or create bootable USB sticks. But once you decided you like the looks of a distro by using Vbox, you do need to create a LiveCD or bootable USB in order to test the distro with your hardware. Even though hardware problems have become negligible in most distros.
  • Like 3

securitybreach

I am also a huge fan of Virtualbox. As you can see, you can install tons of distros and OSs in Virtualbox:

KXh616g.png

bootneck02

Well I have realy gone and done it o:) , I went onto the Linux store and purchased their Starter Pack DVD's which includes Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon, Mint, Open Suse, Ubuntu, Simply Memphis and PCLinux OS :whistling: . If I cannot sort out a OS out of that lot there must be something wrong with me. Once again thanks to all of you for your input :clap:and after I have decided which distro to use I will gladly pass on the ones I have disgarded to anyone who would like them if you are in the UK :fish:

Edited by bootneck02

securitybreach

Why would you buy it? Linux is free

And they will all be quickly outdated when new versions come out. Well within 6 months depending on when the version came out

I, along with only a couple others here, have been using OpenSuSe for over 10 years, and I've never installed anything else. It just works for me--your experience may differ depending on your hardware and personal taste. You've got an interesting time ahead of you!

• Like 2

Well it does save on the downloading time to have 6 distros ready to load. I use OpenSuSE's net install for the same reason--very small initial download, everything else pulled from repository during install.
  • Like 1

Well it does save on the downloading time to have 6 distros ready to load. I use OpenSuSE's net install for the same reason--very small initial download, everything else pulled from repository during install.

Depends on your definition of "download time". When you do a net install, you are just downloading as it is installed. And the download is coming from the repository sites rather than a mirror and traffic can make that much slower. The only advantage would be if the install included all of the updates, but I don't think that is true as it would require an awful lot of work by the maintainers. Edited by lewmur

Depends on your definition of "download time". When you do a net install, you are just downloading as it is installed. And the download is coming from the repository sites rather than a mirror and traffic can make that much slower. The only advantage would be if the install included all of the updates, but I don't think that is true as it would require an awful lot of work by the maintainers.

Yes, but net install takes me only a few minutes longer than install from media so it does save me some time.
  • Like 2

bootneck02

I suppose the reason I would prefer to have downloads on a DVD from the Linux shop is there very little chance that are corrupted as I have downloaded from the net before only having to re download again as the first download did not work.(also I am Lazy :teehee: )

• Like 1

Hedon James

I still think learning to use VirtualBox is a much better way to get a feel for distros without having to burn CD or create bootable USB sticks. But once you decided you like the looks of a distro by using Vbox, you do need to create a LiveCD or bootable USB in order to test the distro with your hardware. Even though hardware problems have become negligible in most distros.

I completely agree 100% with all your statements here. And statement #2 is why I suggested Live media. Once he settles on a distro, verifies hardware, and installs, the script gets flipped IMO, and Vbox VMs are the way to go! JMO...

• Like 1

bootneck02

And they will all be quickly outdated when new versions come out. Well within 6 months depending on when the version came out

The Linux Mint 17 Sinnamon is a LTS version and is supported up to 2019.

Hedon James

Looks like the Samsung Xpress M20222W is indeed supported in linux. I googled "linux Samsung Xpress M20222W printer" and found several hits that indicate that Samsung provides linux drivers on their website and saw a tutorial for installing in Ubuntu and Mint (Mint is based on Ubuntu, BTW). But this looked like the clearest & most concise instructional (pay attention to the third answer, which specifically mentions your printer):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/170880/how-do-i-install-the-drivers-for-my-samsung-printer

Here's the Samsung site that provides their Unified Linux Driver package:

http://www.samsungsetup.com/TS/Client/en/Install.html

When it comes to your printer, you're golden bootneck!

What about a scanner? I've had more troubles with scanner hardware than all other devices combined, but there are many linux-friendly scanners. Personally, I find HP, Epson, & Brother to be the most user-friendly in USA.

• Like 3

bootneck02

Thanks for all the help all it is good to read the differing opinions and reasons for using the different flavors of Linux. As I have said before I am a user and not wanting to write and make adjustments to operating systems all I need something that works out of the box and is a long term OS. I am retired on a small pension and fed up with Microsoft and other software houses charging the earth for their software and the fact without all the extra protection one needs today to stop spyware, viruses and other nasties which I would have thought should come with the OS but no that is all extra. This evening I will be downloading Linux Mint wish me luck, as I have several spare hard drives I will remove the drive that Windows is on and put Mint on a new drive so if I cock it up I will still have a working HD from to work from o:) :teehee: :whistling:

• Like 1

securitybreach

Thanks for all the help all it is good to read the differing opinions and reasons for using the different flavors of Linux. As I have said before I am a user and not wanting to write and make adjustments to operating systems all I need something that works out of the box and is a long term OS. I am retired on a small pension and fed up with Microsoft and other software houses charging the earth for their software and the fact without all the extra protection one needs today to stop spyware, viruses and other nasties which I would have thought should come with the OS but no that is all extra. This evening I will be downloading Linux Mint wish me luck, as I have several spare hard drives I will remove the drive that Windows is on and put Mint on a new drive so if I cock it up I will still have a working HD from to work from o:) :teehee: :whistling:

You'll be just fine man, trust me. And if your not, for some oddly rare reason; we are here to help. B)

Hedon James

Good thinking with the original Win8 OS hard drive. After you get Mint running and verify that it does everything you want, the way you want to do it...you can shoot the Win8 hard drive!

abarbarian

and you will never have anyone tell you to RTFM (read the fine manual).

I will :devil:

If you are having trouble with downloads then you need to learn how to do a check on the download.See here for instructions which should work for most linux downloads on most linux distros, there are also helpfull tips on how to do a check in a Windows os.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Nice to see you by the way.

As long as you can get a linux distro installed and running then you can change any of the programs to suit your own needs very easily. So concentrate on getting a os installed and connected to the net and work from there.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

bootneck02

Hi Abarbarian thanks for the advice. Well yesterday Mint crashed my fault I think it was that I had not updated it with the new updates so I have reinstalled and the first thing I did with it was to install all of the updates that were advised. I think my trouble was I went at it like a bull in a china shop. I am up and running with Internet and email connections and taking things a lot slower. What would be your advice on checking updates once a week, once a month or are we advised that there new updates?

• Like 1

securitybreach

LinuxMint will tell you when updates are available via the systemtray (lower right corner), and I would install them when they are available.

Hedon James

And it sounds like such a minor thing, but it is so HUGE to me...I just LOVE how Linux updates. When Windows updates, it just elbows its way to the top of the priority list and puts everything on hold while it forces itself upon you: workflow be D*****..."i don't care what you're doing...we're updating NOW". I can't begin to count the times that Windows updated itself in the middle of my workday and as I went to click my mouse on my intended icon, a popup occurred at that precise moment, placed itself under my mouse cursor at the precise moment of my click, tricking me into okaying it before I could read what I had okayed. How many times is this statistically possible before it crosses from an unlikely random event to a sentient OS that is hellbent on screwing with me?! And once that happens, there's no stopping it, no pausing it, no going back...the system MUST be rebooted.

Contrasted with linux, which just pops a silent notification in the corner somewhere..."yo, dude, I found updates. come get me when you're ready to install them." And even after you've installed them at YOUR convenience, linux lets you know that a restart is required, but allows YOU to choose when that happens. Right away, if you want...or finish another task or two...or even later that night..."restart me when you're ready."

I used to dread those Windows updates. Necessary, but EVIL. Linux is much more user-friendly. Sounds like a little thing right? But it is HUGE to me!

• Like 1