Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon and MATE

securitybreach

securitybreach

It’s always a major event in the world of desktop Linux when a new version of Linux Mint is released. This time around it’s Linux Mint 17.1, a long term support release that will be supported until 2019. Linux Mint 17.1’s code name is Rebecca and it brings numerous bug fixes and tweaks, along with some significant new features for the Cinnamon and MATE desktops.

In this review I’ll cover the MATE and Cinnamon desktops, as well as the common feature changes shared by both desktops. Screenshots of both desktops and the new common features are at the very end of the review. The screenshots of the common features were done mostly in MATE, but the features work the same in Cinnamon.

What’s new in Linux Mint 17.1

Here’s a sample of what’s new in this release:

Cinnamon 2.4

MATE 1.8

MDM 1.8

Linux kernel 3.13

Ubuntu 14.04 package base

Compiz support for MATE

Update Manager improvements

Kernel selection screen redesigned

Language Settings enhancements

Login Screen improvements

http://desktoplinuxr...namon-and-mate/

• Like 2

I upgraded to LM 17.1 Rebecca from LM 17 Qiana. I waited until the online upgrade facility was in place and just downloaded what I needed and installed while LM was running. It was very painless.

• Like 2

I upgraded same as Raymac on 2 computers with no problem But on the 3rd computer it messed up and could not log on. So I upgraded by formating root and used a dvd disc that had 17.1 on it. I did not format home partition so all my settings where saved when I did a install from the dvd disc using the previous partitions. I then reinstalled some of my programs that I wanted and all is OK. I have done this for every version of mint and Ubuntu for years now. Never had a problem doing it this way.

Mel

• Like 2