blu-ray question

burninbush

Hi all ... not exactly a pc question, but I'm hoping someone here can help.

I have a nice little Samsung blu-ray player, maybe 2 years old by now. Don't have a lot of disks, but I'm acquiring more these days.

My question is like this: seems like all blu-ray disks take forever to get started playing, taking 2 - 3 minutes on some. Standard dvds start playing almost immediately.

It plays all of them without error as far as I can tell.

Is this normal behavior for blu-rays? Is there some brand of player that works quicker?

TIA for any help.

Guest LilBambi

I bet this has to do with the blu-ray Internet checks for current keys, etc., maybe, since all but the oldest blu-ray players require an Internet connection?

Can not help as I have never seen a Blu-ray movie yet. Do they look that much better than a standard dvd movie ? :228823:

yes - BUT.

the "but" is how much better. majority of blu-ray re-dos are not worth it, better off taking the dvd and letting the device upscale.

Read the reviews for the blu-ray release. If it is a re-do , the good reviews will let you know the quality of the remastering.

For new releases, really depends on the contents as to whether it is worth price premium for blu-ray disc.

I bet this has to do with the blu-ray Internet checks for current keys, etc., maybe, since all but the oldest blu-ray players require an Internet connection?

nah, it is the Java implementation used. and how much computing guts the device has.

yes - BUT.

the "but" is how much better. majority of blu-ray re-dos are not worth it, better off taking the dvd and letting the device upscale.

Read the reviews for the blu-ray release. If it is a re-do , the good reviews will let you know the quality of the remastering.

For new releases, really depends on the contents as to whether it is worth price premium for blu-ray disc.

Ta. I have a couple of HD TV channels available on my tv and can see a difference compared to a Standard Definition view but it is only a very small difference.I was just curious to know if Blu-ray was worth the price hike. :breakfast:

Can not help as I have never seen a Blu-ray movie yet. Do they look that much better than a standard dvd movie ? :228823:

Thanks for the replies. I'm learning that the slowness is a common complaint.

As for video quality, I'd say don't bother upgrading your player or buying the much more expensive disks. My primary interest was sound quality [hi-fi nut from way back] -- and there you will find differences. Over the last couple years I have upgraded the two systems in my house to surround speakers, and have searched for media to really exercise them. "DTS" is a very high quality encoding system that is not on many standard dvds. Almost all disks these days come with Dolby 5.1 surround encoding in addition to standard stereo; I find that I do prefer DTS.

And so, I recently bought a used 4-blu-ray disk season of Glee [ebay] just to get the reported 'best' "DVD-HD-Master-Audio" soundtrack, supposedly the best of the best, but playing them is infuriatingly slow, startup takes ~3 minutes and the menus are also very slow. There is a feature that will let me play just the music numbers, which is cool.

I haven't yet jumped to a blu-ray burner, seems there might be a possible room for improvement from remastering -- leaving off all the extra crap.

My experience with blu-ray has mostly been more irritatation than pleasure.

Ah ha yes the adverts never ever tell you the true story behind the latest and greatest new tech.You only find out after you have bought and unwrapped and used it. Oppps to late to take it back now.

I have some Sennheiser HDR170 bins and they have an annoying buzz that is activated by hdd use.Only way to get rid of it is to fiddle with the sound levels on the pc and the bins in a certain sequence. Never read a word about it in any of the many reviews and test reports I checked out before I bought them. :'(