Is there a better way to make a pdf file?

Robert

I have access to an old HP office document scanner with an XP computer with HP branded Scansoft scanner software. I was using it because it can scan 8.5 x 14 inch paper while my home scanner only goes to 11 inches.

I spent 3 hours in prep and scanning a 170 page document and when scanning was done I named the file and the software started processing. It crashed so the work was lost. I found .Tif files in the Windows Temp file, but the searchable pdf I was after was never produced.

Is it possible to assemble those .tif files I already have into a pdf file? I have an old copy of Adobe 4.0 (IIRC) from long long ago that ran on an old Windows computer, if that could help.

Also, for the future, is there a way to slowly build a pdf from misc scans that does not require I buy an expensive new program? The way I'm forced to do it with the current software is scan in order and process. If I accidentally leave out a page I have to rescan everything to add it.

Edited by Robert

I'm confused, if you had saved the scan file why can't you restart the pdf creation.

Do you know what caused the crash? Does the HP software allow for partial processing?

As for creating a searchable pdf from tifs - it can be done with software from Adobe that costs less then $300. We use it at work.

I had named the file, or rather what the file would be named if it finished processing. The HP Scansoft software is cut rate on features and does not save or help in any way when it crashes.

I had a free evening so this is what I did. First I tried to install a 1999 version of Adobe Acrobat on a Windows 8.1 computer. It would not install. Then I tried on a XP SP3 machine and it installed fine.

I copied the Temp file I had saved on the flash drive, then started the program. When I selected import, it imported everything. I found old scans, pictures and a Chinese restaurant menu in the middle of the pdf file it made, so next I deleted a couple of hundred files from the temp file that were not related. After that I was able to import just the tiff files from today and made a decent pdf file from it.

Coming here and writing down the question after my afternoon disaster helped me think of a possible solutions, and it worked. I'm glad I kept the old program and still have an XP machine to save me. The only new software I know of that can do the same is way out of my price range. Thanks for reading all this.

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

There are quite a few ways to merge multiple files into a single PDF file. And most don't cost close to $300 like Adobe charges.

You could choose an online way to do it so you offload the CPU/RAM load off your own computer:

http://www.pdfmerge.com/

You can donate if you wish. *Free for files up to 15M. They even have a secure way to do more confidential files:

https://www.pdfmerge.com/

Again you can use OpenOffice.org as Capt noted, or as I do which is to use LibreOffice. Both these office programs will print to PDF or allow you to export as a PDF.

Or you can use PDF creator to create a single pdf with many files.

And WikiHow has a page that shows 16 ways to Merge PDF files.

There are quite a few ways to merge multiple files into a single PDF file. And most don't cost close to $300 like Adobe charges.

You could choose an online way to do it so you offload the CPU/RAM load off your own computer:

http://www.pdfmerge.com/

You can donate if you wish. *Free for files up to 15M. They even have a secure way to do more confidential files:

https://www.pdfmerge.com/

Again you can use OpenOffice.org as Capt noted, or as I do which is to use LibreOffice. Both these office programs will print to PDF or allow you to export as a PDF.

Or you can use PDF creator to create a single pdf with many files.

And WikiHow has a page that shows 16 ways to Merge PDF files.

Keep in mind that the OP wanted a text searchable pdf file.

Guest LilBambi

Many ways to make a PDF will allow them to be searchable. That's going to be more the reader than the creator.

But always good to check by testing each method to see if they give you what you want.

I had to give up on searchable text. I'm happy I was able to save the file and now I can go back and rescan crooked pages and insert them with Acrobat 4 and Windows XP. A total loss would have hurt.

I tried Libre office since that was what I have installed and I couldn't get it to do what I wanted with the scans I had. I don't remember what was not working right.

Part of the problem I've been having is that the scans are of text printed with a Ditto or Spirit duplicator in 1960 so the text is blotchy, too light in some places, and some is crooked as printed.

I hope the pdf file is still readable in 54 years.

Guest LilBambi

How many scans were there? A full blown office suite like LibreOffice may have had issues with memory if too many image scans and crashed during exportation?

The other option that would allow printing to PDF would be to use a PDF creation program like BullZip that creates a 'print to pdf' device. BullZip gives many options during the pdf creation process and the pdf creation is offloaded to the device.

Or PDF Creator too would work. Also PrimoPDF.

Nitro and FoxIt too but they are trials.

So you had to take each image scan and modify it before adding it to the PDF?