Resizing partitions in Linux

From within Mandrake 9.1, is it possible to re-size my Linux partitions, or do i have to re-install the OS? After studying (and printing out) the suggested partition arrays, of Bruno and Fran, have decided that I allocated wrong; now it's bothering me, even though - so far - I've had no problems. TIA.

Quint,Technicly spoken it can be done, Mandrake says it can be done, BUT the few times that I ever tried, even the smallest adaptation, I had to re-install . . . . . well, a re-install won´t hurt nobody, takes 30 minutes, it´s a good workout to know the Mandrake installer better but, you have to do the 180MB Mandrake Update again ! B) If you want my advice: wait, learn more, do some challenging stuff and wait for the crash, then you´ll have to re-install anyway. Or wait for 9.2 in a few month time ( 5-6 ) it will hit the mirrors ! B) Bruno

Quint,Technicly spoken it can be done, Mandrake says it can be done, BUT the few times that I ever tried, even the smallest adaptation, I had to re-install . . . . . well, a re-install won´t hurt nobody, takes 30 minutes, it´s a good workout to know the Mandrake installer better but, you have to do the 180MB Mandrake Update again !  <_< If you want my advice: wait, learn more, do some challenging stuff and wait for the crash, then you´ll have to re-install anyway. Or wait for 9.2 in a few month time ( 5-6 ) it will hit the mirrors ! B)  Bruno
Bruno, thanks again for the advice; will do as you suggest. Wasn't aware 9.2 would be out so soon...9.1 hasn't been around for all that long! :blink: You've really perked my interest in Slackware, and I have it burned to CD's, but right now the install process is too intimidating for me. :( Talk to you later,

Quint:Slack install is not to difficult, but looks oldfashon + you get asked a few questions you´ll need to answer right !If you ask me, 6 month more experience at the rate you are learning and you´ll be allright !( VectorLinux is based on Slack and has an easier install, if you really want to experiment . . . . )About Mandrake: every 6 - 7 month there is a new version, with a new kernel and updated KDE ! This way the fun always stay´s. . . . . not 4 or 5 years with the same OS B) , no a kind of permanent evolution ! FUN ! :blink:<_< Bruno

Peachy
From within Mandrake 9.1, is it possible to re-size my Linux partitions, or do i have to re-install the OS? After studying (and printing out) the suggested partition arrays, of Bruno and Fran, have decided that I allocated wrong; now it's bothering me, even though - so far - I've had no problems. TIA.
Quint,there is a way to do what you want, but it takes a bit of planning and a lot of patience. Tell me what your current partitioning scheme is and what you want it to be and maybe we can come up with a step-by-step plan, if you are game.
Quint,there is a way to do what you want, but it takes a bit of planning and a lot of patience. Tell me what your current partitioning scheme is and what you want it to be and maybe we can come up with a step-by-step plan, if you are game.
peachy,Thanks for the offer. Judging from what I've read, what Bruno suggested, and my own inexperience, I think I'll wait on tackling this. Currently I have:/home - 5GB/ - 7GBLinux Swap - 500MBI know that I messed up, but I am learning (believe it or not). <_< Bruno, Fran and you, have taught/shown me more in these few threads, than all I've managed to glean elsewhere...and I thank you all for that, very much. I'm also sure that the future here holds many more "enlightenments". :blink: