Printer Authentication

brabhamj

I run the library network at the Oregon Institute of Technology. All our public use computers run on generic accounts (ex. Studnt12, Studnt32) due to the fact that we have community members come in and use the computers as well as students. Recently we purchased a new Laser Color Printer to go along with our Black and White Laser and we have been trying to figure out how to authenticate users against a database for charging purposes without having users log on to the computers at the beginning. We don't want to have everyone log in when they get on to the computers because of the community members who may just want to surf the web for a few minutes but we do want them to authenticate somehow if they do print. We also don't have the money to buy an expensive software package. If anyone has any suggestions or would like some more detail of this problem, just let me know. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.Jonathan

I figured someone would have jumped in to tackle this one. I know in my last school, we could have the printer send out a sheet showing how many pages were coming and who was printing. I don't know if that was the Novell or if it was a printer thing. If you use a generic log in like computer one, etc. it will show you where it is coming from without a specific log in.If you can't come up with a solution just keep your printer list open on your desktop and you can see who is printing. I realize that takes a vigilent eye but if the printer is in the right place, you will hear it crank up.Good luck. Maybe an expert will answer this cause I sure am not.

SonicDragon
authenticate users against a database for charging purposes without having users log on to the computers at the beginning
I've read this a few times and i think i'm missing something.How can u check a user against a database without haveing that user give a log on name. What would there be to check against a database?Sorry for the confusion ;)

Does anyone even think that this is possible or am I just going down a deadend?
We use Pcounter for Novell at the college. You will have to give us more specific details about your network because it's too vague. What type of network are you using: Client/Server or Peer-to peer?What NOS are you running if Client/Server: Novell, Microsoft Windows 2000, or NT?What clients are you running: Win 9x, Windows 2000/XP Professional?How are the printers attached: Shared local printers or IP-based?Also, try doing a Google search for printing accounting, print balances, networked, etc. ;)

SonicDragon

Print Censor sounds like it would do the job. There is only one thing that is worrying me:"Using Print Censor you will always know all neccessary information of using your printers. Each saved print job contains the following information: User Name..."Does that mean that u have to log on and give a user name first?

JonNuttNTL
All our public use computers run on generic accounts (ex. Studnt12, Studnt32) due to the fact that we have community members come in and use the computers as well as students.
There's your answer each PC is set up and to login as Studnt12, Studnt32, etc this will be shown on the Print Censor. All you need to have is a reference file of who is using that PC at a given time. Doesn't have to computer based, and if the users know that what they print can be "monitored" for what resources they are using they may think twice before sending that 200 page print run by mistake...... ;) On a side note you might want to look at http://www.fineprint.com for the rather superb printer package Fineprint to reduce paper costs. Its one of my first jobs to install when upgrading my system.Laterz,Jon.

SonicDragon
There's your answer each PC is set up and to login as Studnt12, Studnt32, etc this will be shown on the Print Censor. All you need to have is a reference file of who is using that PC at a given time. Doesn't have to computer based, and if the users know that what they print can be "monitored" for what resources they are using they may think twice before sending that 200 page print run by mistake......  ;)
Ooohhhh! How did i miss that! Sorry! *embarrased*

How can u check a user against a database without haveing that user give a log on name. What would there be to check against a database?
Sorry for the confusion. This is the biggest thing I'm looking for, some kind of authentication prompt that comes up when a user at a computer prints.Jonathan

JonNuttNTL

I don't think this is easily acheived as you would need to intercept printing requests and run a script to log the user to a text file, for example.Laterz,Jon.