Betty: Turn Generic English Into Linux Terminal Commands

onederer

Have you met Betty?

I have, and she didn't like me very much. It seems that the compilation of the program had some kind of flaw in it that I couldn't catch, to find out what's wrong. However, it was an intriguing idea, and I was at first lured to her. The coding needs to be cleaned up, before it can be used. If any of you can go through the compiler code, perhaps the flaw can be found. It would be nice to use Bash in a conversational English, instead of the cut-and-dry text we now use.

Perhaps it didn't like my system, but maybe it will work in yours. So if you want to try something different, here's a link to get you going:

I picked up Betty from Source Forge. I understand there there is another one like Betty, but I haven't looked into it. Do you know anything about the other one?

Cheers!

securitybreach

Worked great here:

comhack@Cerberus ~ % packer -S betty

Aur Targets (1): betty

Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

Edit betty PKGBUILD with $EDITOR? [Y/n] n

==> Making package: betty 0.1.7-1 (Sat Sep 27 11:17:06 CDT 2014)

==> Checking runtime dependencies...

==> Checking buildtime dependencies...

==> Retrieving sources...

-> Downloading v0.1.7.tar.gz...

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

100 123 0 123 0 0 695 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 698

100 23841 100 23841 0 0 56202 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 99k

==> Validating source files with sha256sums...

v0.1.7.tar.gz ... Passed

==> Extracting sources...

-> Extracting v0.1.7.tar.gz with bsdtar

==> Starting prepare()...

==> Entering fakeroot environment...

==> Starting package()...

==> Tidying install...

-> Purging unwanted files...

-> Removing libtool files...

-> Removing static library files...

-> Compressing man and info pages...

-> Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries...

==> Creating package "betty"...

-> Generating .PKGINFO file...

-> Generating .MTREE file...

-> Compressing package...

==> Leaving fakeroot environment.

==> Finished making: betty 0.1.7-1 (Sat Sep 27 11:17:07 CDT 2014)

[sudo] password for root:

[sudo] password for comhack:

loading packages...

resolving dependencies...

looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1):

Name New Version Net Change

betty 0.1.7-1 0.06 MiB

Total Installed Size: 0.06 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]

(1/1) checking keys in keyring [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%

(1/1) checking package integrity [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%

(1/1) loading package files [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%

(1/1) checking for file conflicts [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%

(1/1) checking available disk space [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%

(1/1) installing betty [-----------------------------------------------------------------------------] 100%

comhack@Cerberus ~ % betty whats my username

Betty: Running whoami

comhack

comhack@Cerberus ~ % betty what time is it

Betty: Running date +"%r (%T)"

11:17:49 AM (11:17:49)

comhack@Cerberus ~ %

Neat stuff :thumbup:

You lucky thing! It worked for you!

Is this your 1st encounter with Betty? It should be easy to use, as long as your fingers don't get paralysed. Now, do you think that you could team up Betty with voice command? If so, you could setup a remote voice control system for your house. And if the Betty commands are sophisticated enough, you could verbally create some scripts to suite your needs. Your results should be the same as the people who dabble with an Aduino.

Cheers!

securitybreach

Yes, this is my first time using Betty but honestly I do not think I will every use it again as I know most of the commands by memory anyway. It is a neat idea and I like how it doesn't just spit out the results but shows up the command it used to get the results.

Well, anything integrated with a smart phone will not work for me. I use an older pay-as-U-go (no monthly bills) Motorola cell phone that doesn't have GPS, or the internals to be tracked. So it cannot be used with automation devices, unless it is keypad tone sensitive. The phone doesn't have touch capabilities.

I intend to use it until it permanently dies on me. Sorry, NSA!

Yep, there are some cool stuff out there to automate an enviroment. I can also imagine, besides the voice pad, the cost of automating a house. Kind of out of my league. I don't have the $$ resources to do something like that.

Cheers!

securitybreach

You do realize that your phone is even easier for the NSA to track and monitor than a smartphone. Cellular and SMS data is simple compared to application data.

The NSA will not get much out of me. The cell phone is off 95% of the time. It is used only for road emergency, very sporatic phone calls, and when the house power goes out. We are not tied to strict cell phone only usage.

We don't have a wall phone anymore. We fired the expensive local telephone company. When we lose power, we can't dial out when we lose our computer connection. That's when we use a cell phone to announce to the power company that we have no electricity. The home phone is a VOIP device, with no monthly bills for it (except for taxes). It's nice! No more long distance charges, and unlimited unmetered talking time. We've saved mucho bucks since we got this unit.