Linux Text Editors

securitybreach

securitybreach

Course they missed Emacs and Vi(m)

If you’ve been using Linux long, you know that whether you want to edit an app’s configuration file, hack together a shell script, or write/review bits of code, the likes of LibreOffice just won’t cut it. Although the words mean almost the same thing, you don’t need a word processor for these tasks; you need a text editor.

In this group test we’ll be looking at five humble text editors that are more than capable of heavy-lifting texting duties. They can highlight syntax and auto-indent code just as effortlessly as they can spellcheck documents. You can use them to record macros and manage code snippets just as easily as you can copy/paste plain text.

Some simple text editors even exceed their design goals thanks to plugins that infuse them with capabilities to rival text-centric apps from other genres. They can take on the duties of a source code editor and even an Integrated Development Environment.

Two of most popular and powerful plain text editors are Emacs and Vim. However, we didn’t include them in this group test for a couple of reasons. Firstly, if you are using either, congratulations: you don’t need to switch. Secondly, both of these have a steep learning curve, especially to the GUI-oriented desktop generation who have access to alternatives that are much more inviting.

http://www.linuxvoice.com/text-editors/

securitybreach

Kinda surprised that Geany wasn't mentioned.

Geany? I do not think I have ever used that before. Of course, I usually use vim, nano or leafpad.

I don't do a lot of text editing but leafpad in Xfce or Gedit has always done the job for me. Nano is OK too if you are working in a Command Line situation.

Course they missed Emacs and Vi(m)

No, they're in there. As an afterword right at the end.

If you wish to follow the steps of Linux gurus, you could always try the revered text editors Emacs and Vim. First time users who want to get a taste for the power of Vim might want to consider gVim, which exposes Vim’s power via a graphical interface.

I used vi for several years on one project I worked and got to be kind of proud of being fluent with something rather arcane (Graphical interface? We don't need no stinkin' graphical interface). Now I'd have to hunt up my cheat sheet of commands to do anything at all with it. *feeling elderly*

Edited by ebrke
  • Like 2

I used vi for several years on one project I worked and got to be kind of proud of being fluent with something rather arcane (Graphical interface? We don't need no stinkin' graphical interface). Now I'd have to hunt up my cheat sheet of commands to do anything at all with it. *feeling elderly*

vi editor keyboard commands are so unnatural no one can remember them if they don't use them regularly.

vi and emacs commands do not qualify you for a "senior" moment.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...