KDE Plasma 5.0 released

securitybreach

securitybreach
July 15, 2014. KDE proudly announces the immediate availability of Plasma 5.0, providing a visually updated core desktop experience that is easy to use and familiar to the user. Plasma 5.0 introduces a new major version of KDE's workspace offering. The new Breeze artwork concept introduces cleaner visuals and improved readability. Central work-flows have been streamlined, while well-known overarching interaction patterns are left intact. Plasma 5.0 improves support for high-DPI displays and ships a converged shell, able to switch between user experiences for different target devices. Changes under the hood include the migration to a new, fully hardware-accelerated graphics stack centered around an OpenGL(ES) scenegraph. Plasma is built using Qt 5 and Frameworks 5.

Major changes in this new version include:

• An updated and modernized, cleaner visual and interactive user experience
    The new Breeze theme is a high-contrast, flat theme for the workspace. It is available in light and dark variants. Simpler and more monochromatic graphics assets and typography-centered layouts offer a clean and visually clear user experience.
  • Smoother graphics performance thanks to an updated graphics stack
    Plasma's user interfaces are rendered on top of an OpenGL or OpenGL ES scenegraph, offloading many of the computational-intensive rendering tasks. This allows for higher framerates and smoother graphics display while freeing up resources of the main system processor...

http://www.kde.org/announcements/plasma5.0/

Guest LilBambi

Looks and sounds great, and I am excited about it.

But I will not be upgrading till I see how others deal with it and if issues are found, give KDE time to fix them.

I like my current KDE too much. It took forever after KDE 4 came out before I could use it without breaking it every day.

securitybreach

Well I am an i3 user but I will try it out as soon as it hits the Arch repos later today or tomorrow.