"Unofficial" Win 98 Patch

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

From the Security Pipeline comes a story about a guy that has made his own Service pack for Win98 SE. He has taken all the patches and rolled them up into a installer for his own service pack. Neat idea but I'd doubt I trust it simply because the source isn't Microsoft and with all the patches locked up in a single installer you can even check the certificates on them until you run his patch.

Guest LilBambi

I agree. I only get patches to Windows from Microsoft...it's hard enough to feel safe with them directly. :thumbsup:

It's an interesting concept. But with the free MS update CD I'm not sure how useful it is.If you follow his recommended procedure

I highly recommend that you should backup your system before installing the pack.
you should be fine. :)Did you visit the author's home page? http://exuberant.ms11.net Interesting the number of updates to his Patch since it came out in Feb. You might want to wait for version 2.0. :thumbsup: Edited by EdP

linuxdude32
I agree. I only get patches to Windows from Microsoft...it's hard enough to feel safe with them directly. :D
Well put, Fran! :)

Well I am sucker for things like this so I tried it.The result?I had to reformat and reinstall my Win98se Highly Functional Carefully Crafted work of Art, conceived in the last 5 years. :D Why?The D*** thing does not have any option to upgrade or update. It a partial reset reinstall. :devil: :devil: Even the desktop with the Links disappears. You get a clean Desktop that makes to look like Win2000 Desktop after typical installation. :D B) Could be that for someone that need to reinstall Win98se from scratch it is a Good thing.However no real useful information is provided and I do not have the time to “â€â€Testâ€â€â€ the thing from scratch. :) :D B) No harm was really done (besides losing 45 minutes), since I had a ghost of the Installation prior to this Negative endeavor. :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: