Win 7 - Allow All Users Install Win Updates

ebrke

Does anyone know of any security issues connected with allowing a standard user to install MS win updates (allow all users setting in Windows Update) in win 7? Searching seems to return results on how to achieve this, which I already know, not if there are any problems known because of it. I did updates manually as admin each month on mother's laptop running XP, but would like to get away from that if possible and safe. Sometimes if I was busy it would be 10 days or so before I got around to doing it.

I set up my sisters pc to do auto-updates and so far it has worked. You do take the gamble that a update will cause issues. Can not say as to security issues, should be safe enough unless MS gets hacked. That is just my view as I am not really up on Windows anymore. :breakfast:

Guest LilBambi

From this link, here's what you need to do:

If you log on as administrator on that PC, open Windows Update and select change settings in the left side of the window. There will be an option under "Who can install updates" to "Allow all users to install updates on this computer". This effectively makes Windows waive the UAC prompt/rules for those updates.