Votes are in, Reader's Choice

sunrat

Results are up for the 2013 Linux Journal Reader's Choice Awards.

I always thought I was a bit of a hipster, but now I see I use the most popular things in quite a few categories. Debian, KDE, Firefox, Thunderbird, Android and more. I guess I just have good taste. :whistling: :rolleyes: :D

And Product of the Year?

Linux Product of the Year

That's it. Maybe we just need to call this "The Issue Where The Raspberry Pi Wins Everything".

There was also a few harsh surprises for the "write-in" extra nominations:

Best Java JRE - *Popular write-in: "all of them suck".

Best Java App Server - *Popular write-ins: "NONE!", "LOL" and "you're kidding, right?"

:lol:

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Wow! FF kicked Chrome's butt.

Thunderbird kicks Gmail's butt.

LibreOffice has just ran away with the show here, folks! No one's even close.

vlc best audio app.

Dropbox best cloud storage.

The GIMP is... well, nothing more needs to be said. The Gimp RULZ, dude!

• Like 1

It's funny that I have Ubuntu, Siduction and Linux Mint installed and working on my computer but for the last 6 months or so I have been using Mageia and PCLinuxOS and rarely Manjaro.I should get a better look at Ubuntu (since I have it anyway) just for the fun of it.

The results show that Arch Linux is really turning some heads as a viable alternative to the "traditional" desktop system.

Seems like a very reputable survey to me :harhar:

• Like 1

Arch Linux? Never heard of it. Is it like Gentoo? ;)

I know you old folk have a hard time keeping up,bless. GrandPa Times will be running an article on Arch soon. That will bring you up to speed. :whistling:

• Like 1

It is just a popularity contest. There may be less used things of much better quality that can not even get a look in. eg. Beagle Board is possibly better than Raspberry Pi, but has a much smaller user base and way less marketing.

Still, some of the ones that I use, particularly Debian, KDE and Amarok, I consider to be the best examples of their categories that I have used.

You're right, just a popularity contest. For example, for best distro, Kubuntu got only 3.8% of the votes, and CrunchBang only 1.1%. Neither of those is one of my main distros, but from what I'm seeing, both are very good -- and much better than these numbers would suggest!