Challenge Response

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

As some of you may know, my best friend is trying to start a band and I'm doing his website. I sent out his first newsletter this morning and I got this back:

Subject: Challenge ResponseBody: We're making sure our users are not bothered by SPAM email.  One of the ways we do this is by issuing a challenge message.This is a challenge message, it is just meant to ensure that you are a human and not a SPAM sending email computer.  To verify that you infact are human, please visit this link: --link here--You will be asked to enter the number sequence you see on your browser.  You will only be asked to do this one time!Thanks for helping us control the SPAM email our users recieve.If you have questions about the validity of this message feel free to reply to it andone of our mail administrators will answer any questions you may have.Sincerely,Mail Server Administrators
It's from support@io2online.com. It's sounds legit, but I don't want to bomb my webmaster account with crud if I reply to this.Does anyone has experience with this?This io2online domain is the domain of one of my subscribers email address so it sure sounds like the domain email server is taking some steps to stop spam.Is it legit??Thankstbird

Yep, it's legit. Many smaller ISP's are experimenting with this, and the likes of Yahoo are doing serious research on putting the system in place. The ISP you mentioned is on the list of folks doing this now.Here's a catch: some of them, having verified you once, will not ask for verification again. Others will demand that you verify every time, in response to the stealing of sender addresses by viruses and Trojans.If you know you sent there, it's in reponse to your message. If you know you didn't send there, somebody hijacked your e mail addy and is using it to send trash.

linuxdude32

I've heard of this - what an annoying system. An ISP I know a similar approach but not half as annoying. Whenever you send them an email the first time, the system sends you a message saying that you're unknown to them and just to reply to the message they send to you (without saying or doing anything to the message) and they'll add you to their list and the original email will be sent. After that, your email address will be on their list. The admin was telling me it's still annoying in another way though. He'll email a business or somebody first and when they write back, they get the same message. All in all, this is something that hasn't been thought through well enough.

Grasshopper

Yeah, I went ahead and did it though. Seemed harmless enough. It just had one of those funky images with a word on it and you had to type it into a field and submit. Yehaw! I'm approved for their server now!! :) Thanks for the input Temmu and JB.tbird