Cookieless Cookies

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Cookieless cookies

There is another obscure way of tracking users without using cookies or even Javascript. It has
already been used
by numerous websites but few people know of it. This page explains how it works and how to protect yourself.

Interesting... and a bit scary.

• Like 2

securitybreach

Yeah, but you forgot. I was just reminding you. ;)

Actually I didn't forget. I remember that there were cookies that did not expire and ones that were persistent from sites like Facebook and others.

Guest LilBambi

Yep, good to keep up those things in our minds. And let's not forget the flash cookies/LSOs too.

I use BetterPrivacy to remove them in Firefox

Google Chrome has a way to delete them in their Clear Browsing Data... area, but they unwisely lumped LSO removal into a single setting where you Delete cookies and other site and plug-in data which can be quite annoying if you have forums that you like to keep color selections and other personal choice items. So in Windows or Mac, CCleaner might be a better choice for removing LSOs if you use Google Chrome.

Delete Flash Cookies to Stop Web Sites from Secretly Tracking You - HowToGeek - NOTE: CCleaner removes them - see article

Manage, disable Local Shared Objects | Flash Player - Adobe