Viva Espana! Viva Linux!

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Exclusive: Linux users file EU complaint against Microsoft

By Sarah Morris

MADRID | Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:19pm EDT

(Reuters) - A Spanish association representing open-source software users has filed a complaint against Microsoft Corp to the European Commission, in a new challenge to the Windows developer following a hefty fine earlier this month.

The 8,000-member Hispalinux, which represents users and developers of the Linux operating system in Spain, said Microsoft had made it difficult for users of computers sold with its Windows 8 platform to switch to Linux and other operating systems.

• Like 1

I can't see this going anywhere. One can disable Secure Boot or use a signed key if one wishes although it's obviously a great hurdle for less techy Linux users.

I wish them luck though.

• Like 1

I can't see this going anywhere. One can disable Secure Boot or use a signed key if one wishes although it's obviously a great hurdle for less techy Linux users.

I wish them luck though.

It's also easy to install another browser but that didn't stop the EU from hitting MS hard for that. Too me, UEFI is a much bigger deal.

• Like 1

I wish them luck though.

I wish them luck, too. I'm glad to see this, even if it doesn't go anywhere.

Too me, UEFI is a much bigger deal.

UEFI isn't the issue, although it is a big deal. The issue is Secure Boot which is just one feature of UEFI.

Guest LilBambi

Actually, there are other big fish to fry with EUFI and just one was discovered back in September 2012 and posted on Bruce Schneier blog here:

September 24, 2012

Security Vulnerability in Windows 8 Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)

This is the first one discovered, I think.

And you can bet there are many more out there, and/or coming, and some will not be reported sadly...

UEFI isn't the issue, although it is a big deal. The issue is Secure Boot which is just one feature of UEFI.

Sure there are other features of UEFI. It replaces the entire BIOS. But as far as this discussion goes, secure boot is the only one that counts. The two might as well be synonymous.