Cannot boot into "kamicota" - only root

kamicota

Here we go again - so before I install a new Linux - can anyone help me here.

I tried to format my external usb drive in PCLinuxOS 2013 - an you know me NOT command line :whistling:

And ended up with the 250GB mounted both in PClinuxOS (root) and Windows for some unknown reason and cannot get into "kamicota"

here is the message I get --->>>

Cannot enter Home Directory using /.

So before it is a complete new Linux & maybe even windowsd is there a solution out there somewhere

Cheers for years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

securitybreach

If your username is kamicota and you cannot access /home/kamicota, run this as root:

chown -R kamicota.kamicota /home/kamicota/

Righty Ho THANKS Josh

Will do when I venture back into Linux

And report back if there was any signs of that pesky External USB drive

Cheers for years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

OOOPPPSSS!!! :'( --->>>

root@localhost ~]# chown -R kamicota.kamicota /home/kamicota/

chown: cannot access `/home/kamicota/': No such file or directory

[root@localhost ~]#

And "root" shows the external USB drive as being mounted and as if have been reformatted - with only "recycled" folder on it even though it is NOT plugged in

Cheers for Years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

Guest LilBambi

OK, could you clear something up for me?

Did you say that you can get to the external hard drive when logged in as root, but not when you logged into kamicota you could not see the external hard drive?

If that is the case, I would suggest umount /pathto/externaldrive and then change the perms on the directory you created to mount the external hard drive so it is at least readable and/or writable by not just root but also users (or yourself if you don't have your kamicota as part of the users.

But if you can no longer log in as kamicota that would be something else. Or if you can not get into your own kamicota home folders when logged in as kamicota, that would be something else.

We would need to know if your group is the same as your username, such as what Josh said, meaning kamicota is in the group kamicota, (kamicota.kamicota), or if your kamicota group is users (kamicota.users) or something else in your PCLos.

Hmm, sounds like you may have accidentally deleted your own user?

Might have to recreate the user, or restore from a backup?

Fran

I'll take little steps here OK!!!

The External USB drive is NOT plugged in at all - YET shows up in Devices - Dolphin root

Cheers for Years

Colin

Well Finally Parted Magic got rid of the "mind of it's own" external drive - BOTH in Windows(shown as none existent "J" partition) & Linux

Still not able to boot into kamicota

And I think you may be right Fran - "MOI" o:) deleted own user & do not have a back up

Looks like time to explore another Linux Distro Install

This may be radical AGAIN but is so OFTEN the way I have to go nearly every New Year or Middle of :teehee:

Cheers for years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

Guest LilBambi

Well the mount point would always be there so that is not unusual.

What about the rest of the questions.

OK glad you fixed that part in Parted Magic. Still not sure what you had going on there.

Is there still folder in /home belonging to kamicota?

And if so, as root can you see the files in /home/kamicota?

Fran

Do not KNOW if there is /home belonging to kamicota

Did not see one in Parted magic

But am on my way back to PCLinuxOS now (root) and see what there is there

Cheers for years

Colin

Fran

I plugged in the troublesome USB drive & it locked everyting up in windows.

Back Linux - there is a home but it is "root/home" - so possibly home/kamicota was deleted too -

Just been into local partitions and NOW :ermm: :whistling: :'( :devil: relaize my old home partition is gone

Going to plug in the USB after this post and see what happens with thsi

Cheers for years

Colin

Just a little background here --->>>

This particular USB drive started locking up windows a little while back but STILL workdeed in Linux

So to me the SCENARIO was - I thpought I had reformatted this USB - but as my /home/kamicota was nearly the same size - about 236GB that was the one that went byebye :clap: eh???

So now I have to decide do I do a complete Windws/Linux install or just replace PCLinuxOS (root)

Should make for an interresting afternoon huh???

Cheers for Years

Colin

OR

Possibly how do I format the 236GB partition as kamicota//home and thereby keeping all the updtates since January intact???

Hopefully in local disks!!!

Cheers for years

Colin

V.T. Eric Layton

Colin!

Good to see you drop in for a visit. You really shouldn't wait to nuke your system before visiting, though. You can stop by anytime... even if you're not having issues. ;)

Yep Eric

Have been so "obsessed" with infrared photography & many cameras - time just seems to fly by - EVEN in these cold snowy Northern Winters.

Resurrected the /home Partition by Local Disks and formatted it - now I suppose I have to delete the previous kamicota entries & add new ones

But am waiting for a little stronger constitution before I do that.

Even ventured to consider something else other than PCLinuxOS but am still "RAMBLING" around in that mire :ph34r:

Cheers for years

Colin

Guest LilBambi

Hope that works out well for you Colin! Try it in a dry run manually before adding to auto mount entries, I would think would be wise.

Keeping fingers crossed for you.

Fran

Just have to update you here - have just had my mind made up to Install Mint LMDE

Just hope I can follow the install instructions o:) :w00t: :rolleyes:

May be a LATE Easter weekend Project as WE be off to stay overnight in Kalispell MT - and Infrared Photo Pics takes precedence as always :clap2:

Cheers for Years

Colin

Edited by kamicota

Fran

Got a SURPISE NUDGE to do it late yesterday - so it is up & running and now I can enjoy my Kalispell MT Infrared Photoshoot today & Saturday

Cheers for years

Colin

• Like 1