openSUSE

saturnian

I've had a few openSUSE installations running here for only a little less than a year. I don't see a lot of praise for this distro lately, but so far it's turned out to be one of the nicest ones I've used. A little tricky (for me) during the installation (on a multi-boot set-up) and getting things set up, then no problems to speak of after that. I'm impressed, and a bit surprised. My first go-round with openSUSE was 12.1, now running 12.2, looking forward to 12.3.

Seems very "stable," but with newer stuff than you'll find in Debian Stable. Decent support periods for releases. Well-documented. And I like YaST a lot. I lean more towards the Debian side of things, but I suspect that I'll have openSUSE running here for a long, long time.

• Like 2

You don't hear much about OpenSuse, my take is because it's not quite as popular but also once you do have it installed there is nothing to do but enjoy your computing experience.

It's quick for a KDE desktop, stable and hardware aware ... I have always favoured Suse and in 12.2 I think they did a grand job.

:)

• Like 1

securitybreach

You don't hear much about OpenSuse, my take is because it's not quite as popular but also once you do have it installed there is nothing to do but enjoy your computing experience.

It's quick for a KDE desktop, stable and hardware aware ... I have always favoured Suse and in 12.2 I think they did a grand job.

:)

Besides the package manager (YAST) being painfully slow, I always liked OpenSuse. The packages come through fast but it had always taken Yast a minute or so just to sync the mirrors and load.

• Like 1

I have tried loading Suse twice on a multi boot system and failed misarably both times. (Probably due to my own lack of experience as this was not long after I join the ranks of a Linux user) Plenty of people say they enjoy Suse, but I have never achieved a good installation to actually play around in it. Not that it matters anymore, I no longer install anything but Arch Linux anyway. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I remember the first time I installed OpenSuSE. It was v10, I think. I was impressed. It is a Slackware derivative, of course. This may explain it's stability and reliability as a GNU/LInux operating system. Besides, I always liked the little green chameleon, too. ;)

open-suse-logo.png

• Like 2

securitybreach

I remember the first time I installed OpenSuSE. It was v10, I think. I was impressed. It is a Slackware derivative, of course. This may explain it's stability and reliability as a GNU/LInux operating system.

Ha, I forgot about that :thumbsup:

No wonder I was always interested in Suse. I even used it for a few months years ago on my old laptop (before Arch was around).

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I don't have time right now, but I might slap a SuSE on one of my tester partitions on this system or my shop system sometime in the near future. I kinda' miss playing around with Yast. ;)

• Like 2

It is a Slackware derivative, of course. This may explain it's stability and reliability as a GNU/LInux operating system.

Took a glance at a Linux timeline; looks like S.u.S.E. branched off from Slackware some 20 years ago. Do Slackware and openSUSE have much in common these days?

Took a glance at a Linux timeline; looks like S.u.S.E. branched off from Slackware some 20 years ago. Do Slackware and openSUSE have much in common these days?

Eric :fish:

securitybreach

Slackware and OpenSuse do not look or act the same anymore at all. They are completely different now and they use two different methods of package management: rpm versus source.

I always have OpenSuSE installed somewhere. Like saturnian said we have to be careful installing it in a multiboot system but I like it. I've always been fond of Yast since you can use it in a GUI or not and it is pretty good at figuring out your hardware.

securitybreach

"I've always been fond of Yast since you can use it in a GUI or not and it is pretty good at figuring out your hardware.

Indeed, Yast has always been excellent at hardware detection and configuration. The reason I installed it on my laptop back in 2006 was due to the fact that OpenSuse (Suse) was the only distro that auto-detected my fingerprint reader and walked me through configuring it. :thumbsup:

Luckily now, the kernel and xorg usually automatically configures everything for you but some distros lack the graphical control of devices like Yast had (or has as I have not used it in years).

openSUSE has always been my favourite distro. The current 12.2 is remarkably stable. As for multiboot issues I've not had much problems with that. If you use the Expert installer you can get more customizable setup options. The LVM module in SUSE is pretty slick to use. SUSE also does a good job with virt-manager if you do virtualization.

securitybreach

openSUSE has always been my favourite distro. The current 12.2 is remarkably stable. As for multiboot issues I've not had much problems with that. If you use the Expert installer you can get more customizable setup options. The LVM module in SUSE is pretty slick to use. SUSE also does a good job with virt-manager if you do virtualization.

Is that sort of like Qemu? I use Qemu since my processor supports Virtualization. I would elaborate further but I replying from my phone at work.

V.T. Eric Layton

Myeh... other than stability, not really.

securitybreach

Is that sort of like Qemu? I use Qemu since my processor supports Virtualization. I would elaborate further but I replying from my phone at work.

When used as a machine emulator, QEMU can run OSes and programs made for one machine (e.g. an ARM board) on a different machine (e.g. your own PC). By using dynamic translation, it achieves very good performance.

When used as a virtualizer, QEMU achieves near native performances by executing the guest code directly on the host CPU. QEMU supports virtualization when executing under the Xen hypervisor or using the KVM kernel module in Linux. When using KVM, QEMU can virtualize x86, server and embedded PowerPC, and S390 guests

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/QEMU

The benefit of using Qemu over VirtualBox is that Qemu uses your native hardware versus virtual hardware like VB uses. This allows you to better allocate memory, use of dynamic diskspace (instead of static) and allows you to make use of your processors' cores. Basically use take advantage of your actual speeds and memory versus using virtual hardware. Of course, your processor must support virtualization: Intel VT for Intel processors or AMD-V for Amd processors.