Boinc problem

abarbarian

systemctl status boinc.service
boinc.service - BOINC Daemon
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/boinc.service; enabled)
	  Active: active (running) since Fri 2013-02-01 16:01:29 GMT; 11min ago
    Main PID: 25271 (boinc_client)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/boinc.service
			  └─25271 /usr/bin/boinc_client --dir /var/lib/boinc --redire...

Feb 01 16:01:29 hostname systemd[1]: Started BOINC Daemon.

I think I have Boinc set up right and running. I think, hmmm. I also have BoincManager which does open but does nothing. I try to connect to the WCG via BoincManager but nothing happens.

Help me save the world. :'(

You need to forget bonkitcrapmgr, one day they may write a program that works, I have never yet found one ... go to http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Boinccmd_tool and use the cmd 's necessaries, it is quite easy. :whistling:

... run boinccmd in the same directory as the BOINC client, you don't need to supply either a host name or a password.

check with crtl+esc to see if Boinc is running.

I use "nohup ./boinc >& /dev/null &" run from my Boinc folder to start up Boinc if I have had to have a reboot.

o:)

• Like 1

I am sure you read through this?

https://wiki.archlin...index.php/BOINC

Of course :whistling:

I had to do

systemctl enable dhcpcd@eth0.service

as I had to manually connect to the network. After a reboot I now have automatic connection. Great. However I now get

systemctl status boinc.service
boinc.service - BOINC Daemon
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/boinc.service; enabled)
	  Active: active (running) since Fri 2013-02-01 18:14:56 GMT; 2min 58s ago
    Main PID: 417 (boinc_client)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/boinc.service
			  └─417 /usr/bin/boinc_client --dir /var/lib/boinc --redirect...

which is different from my original post. Boinc Manager is still not working, it gives, "unable to connect to the core client" in the simple view. An "disconnected" in the advance view. "Add project" still does nothing.

Muckshifter - have I met you in another place ? I'm running Arch with systemd which allows Boinc to autostart and stop so I would like to have Boinc working with systemd if I can.

Also I'm struggling to understand the instructions from your link. I'm only a poor old barbarian after all. :shifty:

oh, well that's Linux for you ...

>_<

More like my oddly set up install. Thanks for pointing me to "boinccmd" that may give me a solution yet. I'll have a go tommorow when me head is a bit clearer. :shifty:

I must retract my statement, Linux is not the problem, it be Boinc ... always was a heap o' junk program for Linux users.

I used the Boinc download directly from WCG. Unpacked it to a folder in my home folders, so I know where the 'efin thing is.

It seems to make things a little easier. Well for me anyway. :)

I am sure you read through this?

https://wiki.archlin...index.php/BOINC

Of course :whistling:

Specifically:

By default, a password is created in /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg for connecting to the daemon. To simplify connection of the GUI to the daemon, cd to your home directory, create a link to the file, and change permissions to allow read access to boinc group members.

$ cd ~/
$ ln -s /var/lib/boinc/gui_rpc_auth.cfg gui_rpc_auth.cfg
# chmod 640 gui_rpc_auth.cfg

This is a nifty piece of "it is not a bug yada yada" — From "Installing BOINC on Debian":

If you do only the basic installation as described above, BOINC manager will not be able to automatically connect to the client. To connect the client you will be required to give the GUI RPC password every time you start BOINC manager. That is not a bug, it is a security feature to prevent other users from using the manager to manipulate the client, changing your projects, etc. Another inconvenience is that boinc (the user named boinc) owns /var/lib/boinc-client/ and all the files and directories in it so you will not be able to edit those files from your regular user account unless you add your username to the boinc group and adjust some permissions...

Simple? Well... here is an example of how "easy" it can be (in six acts):

ACT OP

ACT TWO

ACT THREE

ACT FOUR

ACT FIVE

ACT SOLVED

My "Boinc stuff" come from Ubuntu's "standard" repositories, and... here they are:

pilotti193.png

I have used Ubuntu ... you just go and install via the method they use via their suppository, it works, you don't have to do any "tweaking" even the manager works.

With other 'flavours' of Linux, I especially find the KDE variants, to be a tad lacking in getting Boinc to even "log-on" as is.

I "learn't" how to get it to attach to WCG after visiting EVERY Boinc-Linux website, even ones with naughty pictures. I just don't have the background in Linux to complacently re-write the program.

There has never been a problem, for me, in getting the Deamon (boinc-client) to work ... the 'effin managers all suck!

:)

Hi Urmie. Thanks for the tips. I think I did the authority bit and was going to re-check but have run into a slightly more serious problem. i.e. me Arch is well and trully furballed. If I can recover I'll have to look at this again. Thanks anyway. :thudna5:

P.S. we would all appreciate it if you would call in at SEAP and talk to us. Ta. :breakfast:

Well I followed Urmas's tips. Had to manually enter the password in the manager. I'm showing lots of packets to be downloaded but all are showing "Download retry with Project backoff both showing countdown timers.

So it looks like I am connected and seen by WCG and have been given a unit to do. I'll let it run and see if anything happens. :whistling:

l8vf3RZl.png

As you can see I have made contact with WCG. I must be connecting as the entries above keep increasing. There are more there now than last night..

xBvh4pol.png

An as you can see in the Event Log above my "internet access is OK". An it looks like I have completely downloaded something. Yet I show no activity of units being processed.

So I am a bit flummoxed. Can anyone offer any insights. :sad:

Ok mark this as problem solved.

I should have followed Josh's links and read them thoroughly but I started to zone out due to life. Had a fresh read and they gave the same advice as here,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/BOINC#Unable_to_download_with_World_Community_Grid

Crossed me fingers and did the stuff and what do you know I now have Boinc working. Now I have to make sure that it is set up so it does not burn me pc out. Luverly, yet another successful Arch adventure.

Oh an BoincManager seems to be working well too.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

Hip hip hurraa. Me first unit done and waiting to be verified.

Running at 100% boinc was toasting me pc at 60 to 65 C. Quick dust of the pc dropped temps to 55 to 60 C. Quick twiddle with boinc and temps now 35 to 40 C which is much more reasonable. This means that instead of crunching two units at a time I am now down to crunching one unit at a time.

When I get time I will do a deep clean on the pc and have a further twiddle with boinc and see if I can get a magic match of temps and work done.

I have a Nvidia 460 GT card and would like to get it to crunch. Anyone running a Nvidia card and crunching ? Info would be much appreciated as I do not have time to reaserch at the moment.

:shifty:

• Like 1

Well I got the GPU to be seen by boinc and boinc went crazy. Started to use 100% cpu. So I did a reboot and no GPU showing in boinc but it is behaving itself.Trouble is I can not figure out what I did to get the GPU to show.

Well I tried this

If you get this error :

GPU Missing

and the Work Unit does not start, you should restart the boinc.service daemon.

but the cpu shot up to 100% though the GPU started to work. So I have had to throttle boinc to 30% cpu running and 30% cpu use. At least I can leave the pc running without it burning. Would be nice to be able to de throtle boinc a bit more though. :breakfast:

Well I'm still looking for a solution as to why every time I allow the GPU to work cpu usage rockets and stays there untill the unit is done. Cpu usage drops down to my presets on starting a new unit but after a minute or so the cycle starts again.

Any bright ideas folks. :breakfast:

securitybreach

don't use the GPU ... I had the same 'problem' even on Windows ... Boinc is crap! >_

Especially if you do not have a really fast gpu.