Text to table conversion

sunrat

Dreamweaver has a brilliant function which converts comma-separated text files to a neat HTML table. Is there a Linux app that can do this? Open Office has Text=>Table, but adds too much formatting and fixed column widths that I just don't need.

Hmmm, looks a bit like programming is required. Seems like it's very powerful, but I need to learn more basics first. :unsure: Still, will check it out further.

I've never heard of that feature before, but have you looked in Bluefish and Quanta?
In Dreamweaver MX it's under Import>Tabular Data, which imports a CSV text file and makes a neat, lean-coded HTML table with only a couple of clicks.Bluefish, Quanta, Screem, and Amaya don't have a similar function. :P

Guest LilBambi
http://dataconv.org/apps_www.htmlThe above page has many web building tools for Linux :)The one you are looking for is t2t :unsure: (It is built in Perl for Linux)Actual webpage for t2t (version 4 release) here:t2t version 4Works in Windows/UNIX/MacBut thought everyone would like to see the other html tools listed on dataconv.org as well. :P* Moved to the Programming and Web Dev Edited by LilBambi

Guest LilBambi
;) Yes, one does kinda lead to the other doesn't it.In Windows I usually use jafsoft's AscToTab (postcardware):Convert text files to HTML or RTF tables with AscToTabDoes a great job ... for a client I convert his Excel documents in Excel to tab delimited text files then convert with AscToTab for insertion in his pages.That way I can use Excel to do the ABC sort before I convert.

That is one of my conversions exactly & creating a webpage from Excel makes SUCH a mess. A few times during soccer season, I need to convert a ref schedule in excel to be posted to the website. I'll try your tools this time around!