just a coincedence that it is a new year but

crp

out with the CentOS. It is no longer worth the price.

It is not just that somehow it totally munged itself up in 5.8, the community is close to kaput. Very little action on the forums.

Is RHEnterprise still $400 ? At this stage it would be worth it I think.

Fedora is too unstable and too quick in going out of support.

For my purposes (see my other Linux posts from this month) I'm really thinking about OpenSuse . Or maybe just take the Zentyal route - anyone here use it?

Open to other suggestions to Linux server that can play nicely in a msWindows LAN and even be the DomainController for said LAN which runs a mix of XP and W7 (with some NT thrown in)

Scientific Linux is another "clone" of Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is assembled by multiple research institutes including CERN (with Sir Tim Berners Lee among others). It is an active project and is binary compatible with RHEL with branding removed and a few special tools added. But not just for high end science users.

Edited by amenditman

Of course you know what I'll suggest - Debian. A friend of mine who is sysadmin for Australia's largest online real estate site said he went from running Red Hat servers at his old job to Debian servers at realestate.com.au and was amazed how much easier they were to manage.

Might pay to wait until Debian 7 (Wheezy) is released to stable. Debian's policy is to release it when it's ready, but I believe it will be pretty soon. Or you can install wheezy now and just upgrade it when released.

Official installer - http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

Unofficial installer with non-free firmware - http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/wheezy_di_beta4/

The unofficial one is easier as it includes firmware for many NICs, video cards and other hardware that may need separate installation with the official one.

V.T. Eric Layton

There's always Mandriva. :)

Sad about CentOS. I still have an installation on my system. I only boot into it once a month to do updates, though. I was very impressed with CentOS when I first installed in six or so years ago; back in my distro farming daze.

Roger, RedHat needs to be complicated to justify customers paying for the support. ;)

I never considered "Scientific Linux" due to it's name

Debian plays nice with msWindows pc's on a LAN? If so, wow - what a change. Can I keep yum?

CentOS6.x might be fine, not really sure. We have one here running a LAMP. But the point of CentOS was that the old wouldn't get kicked to the curb so quickly. Also, I am more than miffed that it so badly munged itself up with the kernel & kernel-headers sometime after the machine in question went from 5.5

BTW: the machine in question is still running as a DNS server but it is overkill to have it just do that one thing. I'll need to get a new machine and move the DNS over to it , maybe as part of the DomainControl.

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Scientific Linux ... the remaining clone of Redhat...but if you want the service, Redhat Enterprise would be worth it because the service is what you are paying the $400 for.

V.T. Eric Layton

I just relalized that my CentOS installation is medieval. It's version 5.6. Maybe I oughta' try the newer versions. I don't use Samba, so that won't be an issue. I think I'll go d-load it now. :)

I just relalized that my CentOS installation is medieval. It's version 5.6. Maybe I oughta' try the newer versions. I don't use Samba, so that won't be an issue. I think I'll go d-load it now. :)

Wasn't just SAMBA. It was also VirtualBox and the next to newest perl and php. probably some other things as well. Though it wouldn't surprise me if they all came down to CentOS munging up an os update thereby messing up the kernel settings and information :(

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I d-loaded it, but it's not a priority to install it at the moment. I'm too busy with other irons in the fire. I'll install it in a few days. :)

Well, I d-loaded it, but it's not a priority to install it at the moment. I'm too busy with other irons in the fire. I'll install it in a few days. :)

running-chicken.gif
  • Like 2