Emails with Malware URLs

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Emails with Malware URLs - Fran's Computer Services Blog

It is amazing to me how many malicious emails one can get!

Just today, I got one that purported to be from CNBC, however, the link was not any of the CNBC franchise websites. So I thought, well, maybe I missed one?

I searched Google for the root domain name in email link and it tried to give me real life news channel results which were of course all legitimate websites, not the dangerous one that was in the email.

However, it did give the ability to search on the exact domain again if I really meant it, which of course I did. The only links available — which I was very happy to see — for that domain name were several links to malwareURL.com - (The MalwareURL Team is a group of Internet security experts dedicated to fighting malware, Trojans and a multitude of other web-related threats) that exposed the website in the email as a malware site for a work at home scam:

This web site is a known security risk -

Detailed web site security report

Security Category: Work-At-Home scam

The results on the link above about the website stated the following:

Domain matching reallivenewschannel.com were found in our database.

1348 other active domains were found on 707 IP(s) for AS30058 (FDCSERVERS)

Show the report for

AS30058 (FDCSERVERS)

Malicious URLs on reallivenewschannel.com

/weeknews/lastnews.php

/weeknews/go.php

Blacklist

Google

Google Diagnostic Page

hpHosts

hpHosts listing

MalwareDomainList

MDL listing

After the above information, there was information specific to the domain.

Interestingly, the domain appears to be registered in NY, USA.

The name servers are in .RU/Ukranian domain origins.

Much more in the Fran's Computer Services blog posting.

I look at the internet as a giant flea market. There's a lot of junk out there. There is some really good stuff... but you need to be "wise as a serpent" when dealing with folks or sites online.

;)

Adam

• Like 1

Guest LilBambi

Yes, but at least in the real world, most times you can tell where the slums are. ;)

But then there are those who run confidence games in the real world too which are often not so easy to spot they say.

This time of year, I'm getting e-cards from "secret" admirers. Yeah right! I warned my hubby again if he gets an e-card do not go to the link. He is very good about not clicking a thing. I guess that's why his computer stays clean.

V.T. Eric Layton

Now, you gotta' watch that kind of comment, Bambi. There is good, bad, and UGLY even in the slums; just as there is in the ritziest Park Avenue address.

Guest LilBambi

Of course there are. But, I was talking about all kinds of spam, phishing, spear phishing, malware, as well as all other manner of unsolicited crap emails. LOL! ;)

Edited by LilBambi

This time of year, I'm getting e-cards from "secret" admirers. Yeah right! I warned my hubby again if he gets an e-card do not go to the link. He is very good about not clicking a thing. I guess that's why his computer stays clean.

You got the cards from me? Sweet! :w00tx100:

Are your spam filters catching any of the junk? I rarely see anything that is spam... maybe once or twice a month......

Adam

Guest LilBambi

:hysterical:

I don't see them either generally. ;) I went looking to see what kind of spam/malware crap was being put out this holiday season... I know...get a life! LOL!

You know what they say ... curiosity killed the cat...wait...that's not what happened to the Root Cat! :'(

Edited by LilBambi