siduction RC - Riders On The Storm

sunrat

The nice devs at siduction have just made available a release candidate for the upcoming siduction 2012 - Riders on the Storm. An interesting part of this release is that Razor-qt, a new lightweight desktop built on QT, is now going to be a regular option for image download. Just the thing for those who liked KDE3 but have issues with KDE4. siduction-Razor-qt uses OpenBox as it's WM, but it can use any WM (inctuding Kwin). I installed the original Razor-qt beta in VBox and was impressed. While it's not finished yet it was still very usable.

Siduction 2012.2 is shipped with 4 Desktop-Environments: KDE SC, XFCE, LXDE and Razor-qt, all in 32- and 64-bit variants.

Release notes here.

Sounds like a good candidate to take a look at via VM. Have been reading a few things lately about siduction and definitely something that looks worth digging into :)

It must be the wrong time of the week for me to try installing it in Vbox on Mageia;

snapshot11.th.png

I gave it 8 GB, a little less than 2 GB of memory and it has been more than an hour now. I was thinking of waiting for the full release before I install it on my /sdc drive ( 1 TB with 143 GB left ).

I decided to try installing ArchLinux on my /sda drive (40 GB) but I didn't know what to do half way through the installation so I went for Manjaro instead. Why not stay in the 21st Century instead of going back to primitive ( I mean it in the good way;basic) installation. Manjaro was very easy to install (which is one of my main criteria for a distro to suggest to friends or family new to Linux), " I'd rather play with a distro than spend time installing it is what I tell them". So Manjaro is running beautifully so far ( I haven't been able to figure out how to install Vbox on it yet. Couldn't find it in pac-gui or the other software installer and I haven't figured out yet how to do it from a console.

Anyway the installation of Siduction has not progressed in the last 20 min so I will try it again later.

Edited by réjean

securitybreach

Well I do not think of it as going back to a primitive installation per se, it is more like customizing your distro from the beginning instead of removing preinstalled apps and setting it up to your liking afterwards. That is the great thing about Linux and open source in general, it is all about choice. Trust me, I dread having to do a reinstallation of Archlinux but I know it is worth it to have a customized fast distro that only has the applications I chose to install. It is almost like buying a new car versus buying pieces and designing your own car. Or something like that :hysterical: