Tastey turkey burgers!

Tushman

I rarely if ever spend any time in the kitchen cooking. My idea of "cooking" is that if it doesn't fit in the microwave or can't eat it in 10 minutes or less, it's not a meal. So when I stumbled upon this recipe, I was really proud of myself! When I searched online for turkey burger recipes, they all seemed to have two ingredients in common: worcester sauce & 1 egg. I came up with the rest of the ingredients by experimenting with stuff that I thought would compliment ground turkey. Keep in mind that lean ground turkey has very little fat, and thus little taste. That's really the main reason why I've got some strong flavors in here like the red onion & garlic. Some of this will "burn off" during the cooking process so don't worry about it being overpowering.

• 1 package of Jenny O's lean turkey (usually they come in a 1.25 lb package)
  • 1/3 cup of worcester sauce
  • 1/2 cup of minced red onion.
  • (I normally chop about 3/4 cup; but I realize that not everyone likes red onion. You can also substitute yellow onion but it doesn't stand up to high heat as well as red onion does.)
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
  • ? McCormicks Lemon & Pepper spice
  • ? McCormicks Mediterrean Herb spice

Place the ground turkey in a large mixing bowl and mix the ingredients by hand. Start out by adding the 1/3 cup of worcester. You can certain add more but this is about average for most people's taste. Don't overhandle the meat. You want to mix it just so that most of the liquid is absorbed into the meat. Next add the red onion and garlic; make sure it's thorougly mixed. Afterwards, add the egg and mix well by hand.

Last two items of course are the 2 McCormicks spices I've listed above. Notice I didn't put a definite amount on there. Again, I'm not a "cook", so I normally eyeball it when I make this recipe. If you want to measure it out before hand, use about 1 Tsp of the Lemon & Pepper spice and 2/3 Tsp of Mediterrean Herb spice. Again, this is a matter of personal preference so feel free to reduce (or increase) the amount of the spices according to your preference.

W hen you make the burger patties, keep in mind that the meat will shrink during the cooking process so if you make a patty that is 2" in diameter, it's going to come out much smaller. I prefer mine "meaty", so I make them in 3.5" diameter in size. (It also happens to fit perfectly on the burger buns). This will yield about 5 full size (3.5") patties with the 6th one being really small. If you want them all in nice even sizes, you'll have to experiment on your own.

Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a non-stick frying pan, and preheat. If you cook two patties at a time, it will take roughly 9 mins cooking time. Cook for roughly 4 - 4.5 minutes on the first side. Flip it over, add just a tad more olive oil and cook for about another 4 minutes. Becareful with the heat. Unlike ground beef, ground turkey tends to burn really easily. So if you want to avoid eating a scorched and dried out turkey burger, watch the heat level. I like to start out with high heat for the initial two to three minutes and cook the rest of the way using med-high heat (almost to the point of medium).

To serve, just add the burger to the buns, add a layer of lettuce, and ketchup.

One final note* I once tried this with a George Foreman grill, but I found that it really drains the turkey burger of the good juices and you get a really dried out burger. Tastes alright, but definitely not as good as using a frying pan.

Guest LilBambi

You could also grate carrots (with or without the skin) and grind some celery or use ground celery seed for additional flavors. Maybe even some minced fresh basil too.

Looks pretty good Tushman, thanks! There's a spice blend that I use on steaks, hamburger, and lamb rib racks cooked on the BBQ pit that you might like to try: McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning. http://www.mccormick.com/Products/GrillMates/Seasoning-Blends/Grill-Mates-Montreal-Steak-Seasoning.aspx They also have a reduced sodium version if you're concerned about salt intake.

I use it as a coating instead of an ingredient mixed into the hamburger meat.