Question about character rendering

Lover of quiet computers

Lover of quiet computers

At this web page, there's a table with glyphs, and descriptions for them. For the two glyphs with the descriptions "left angle bracket" and "right angle bracket", the glyphs are showing up as question marks (?) in the following browser.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040206 Firefox/0.8
I've tried setting the character coding to a few different standards, to no avail. The rest of the characters seem accurate.I have a feeling this is incorrect. Any idea what's wrong? (Maybe the page is improperly written....)

It could be the font that you are using might not contain that character. I don't think it has anything to do with encoding. Look in the page info (I think its page info) and see if it is in Standards Compliant mode...it should say in there somewhere.HTHNeil

Looks fine in Firefox 0.8, but it's messed up in IE 6 SP1. In order to get it to work properly in IE you will need to remove the <?xml> prologue. I'd put in the following DOCTYPE instead. Possibly take out the language encoding to see if it fixes yours, but also check your OS regional settings.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

Lover of quiet computers
  • I am not in any way the author of the page; I'm merely trying to view it.
  • I tried Verdana and Thorndale as alternatives to Times New Roman, and the problem persists.
  • In my copy of Firefox, the page is rendering in Quirks mode.

Yes, it's rendering in quirks mode because it's missing the DOCTYPE declaration. But that should not affect the font encoding.Okay, I'm looking at this page at home now rather than work and the angled brackets have been replaced by question marks in Firefox. Both the home and work computer are running XP SP1. Hmm, interesting quirk. IE 6 on both computers displays the extended characterset improperly, too. Will need some investigation. :thumbsup:

Guest LilBambi

Sorry can't help you with this either as it renders right as well in Firefox (Win98SE) with the standard font style settings:Proportional = SerifSerif=Times RomanSans-serif=ArialMonotype=Courier NewTried different sizes too .. still renders right. >_

Okay, I'm looking at this page at home now rather than work and the angled brackets have been replaced by question marks in Firefox. Both the home and work computer are running XP SP1. Hmm, interesting quirk. IE 6 on both computers displays the extended characterset improperly, too. Will need some investigation. :blink:
Peachy,I've got the exact same problem... It looked fine using Firefox at work, but here at home, it shows the ?'sMy work PC is Win2k, home is XP SP1, but both are using the same build of FF and have the exact same profile

In IE6 at school, the page looked bad, as everyone else reports.Here at home, Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040218 Firefox/0.8.0+ in Mandrake 9.2, it works just fine. This is a very weird problem. Maybe if we can get enough people to see if it works or doesn't work, we can see what the variable is that causes this problem.

At work, Firefox 0.8 / MacOSX Panther, works great.At home, Firefox 0.8 / PCLinuxOS2K4, works great.tried konqueror, it is screwed.It is UTF-8 encoding so you should have version of font with all the characters of UTF encoding to get it to work properly.I can't think of anything else atm. :D

Works in:Galeon 1.3.12Epiphany 1.0.7Firefox 0.8 Release - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040207 Firefox/0.8Firefox nightly - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7a) Gecko/20040220 Firefox/0.8.0+Mozilla 1.6 - Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040115Opera 7.23 - Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; X11; Linux i686) Opera 7.23 [en]Does not work in:Konqueror 3.1.4 (using KDE 3.1.3)Internet Explorer 6.0.something (not sure, doesn't matter though)Not surprising that all the Gecko Browsers above work (since my original test using Firefox did). Does anyone have Opera to test with? Or should I download it? I would test in Moz 1.6 but I can't because Firefox is open, it just opens another Firefox instance. Annoying, that.First non-gecko browser that i've seen work -- Opera 7.23. Opera is very good at standards (depending on who you ask, they are the best; others say Mozilla). Perhaps it is something in the HTML? I think that was said above. The page validates (or would with a DOCTYPE) as does the CSS.

I get the question marks with Netscape 7.1 also.
It doesn't work in Netscape??? :) That doesn't make sense. It should work in Netscape, being just another Gecko browser. Look at all of them that do work. Now this problem makes less sense.

I just tested it with ..gasp WindowsXP and Firefox 0.8 and only left and right brackets are screwed.I wanted to see it in ...double gasp.. IE 6 and all of the characters are screwed, I changed encoding manually to UTF and most of the characters are ok but some like brackets and more are screwed.

steeler fan for life, the original post says it didn't work on their Mozilla / Gecko browser either.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040206 Firefox/0.8
All the other glyphs are fine in Netscape but they are totally screwed up in IE 6.x, both browsers running on Windows XP Home.

steeler fan for life, the original post says it didn't work on their Mozilla / Gecko browser either.
:) Right, forgot that part....But all my Gecko browsers worked...thats where the confusion came in, I believe.

Lover of quiet computers
the original post says it didn't work on their Mozilla / Gecko browser either
It was on Windows XP Home Edition, if that makes any difference.On Wednesday (2004-02-25) or Sunday (2004-02-28), I'll have an opportunity to test it on the following browsers.
  • Firefox 0.8 on Windows XP Professional Edition
  • SeaMonkey 1.6 (Mozilla) on Windows 98 Second Edition

Reply here if you want me to do it; otherwise, I'll forget about it.