Bedrock Linux Introduced - No Flintstones, but lots of distros

amenditman

Pretty wild Linux project I read about today.

From their Intro page

The Perfect Linux Distribution

So you've decided to give this Linux thing a try. Which Linux distribution should you choose? Do you want...

• Something extremely stable, such as Debian or a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone?
  • Something cutting-edge, such as Arch, Debian Sid, or Fedora Rawhide?
  • Something extremely customizable, such as Gentoo or LinuxFromScratch?
  • Something minimal, such as Tinycore or SliTaz?
  • Something user-friendly, such as Mint?
  • Something popular with lots of software developed with it in mind, such as Ubuntu?

Which features are important, and which are you willing to give up? If you want (almost1) everything - stable and cutting edge, customizable and minimal, with access to popular-distro-only packages - Bedrock Linux is the Linux distribution for you.

1Well, everything except for user-friendly. At the moment, Bedrock Linux can not honestly be considered "user-friendly."

Check out the rest of the Introduction page and then the FAQ.

Pretty amazing that they have this working at all, let alone to the stage where they can issue it for alpha testing.

That actually sounds pretty darn interesting. If I am reading it correclty, it would be like having a Linux distro installed that interconnects any other Linux distro you have installed via multiboot.

Thanks for sharing this info Amenditman :thumbsup:

V.T. Eric Layton

They should have named that Frankenstein Linux. frankenstein_icon_by_sapoman-d30qq9x.gif

An interesting approach to Linux, for sure. I would wonder, though, about the security issues relating to chroot in that usage. We should keep an eye on this one. I'll call the villagers...

The_Villagers_Are_Restless_by_Zikes.gif

I would wonder, though, about the security issues relating to chroot in that usage.

They specifically address that issue in the FAQ.

If you value security, note that Bedrock Linux probably has the highest attack surface of just about any Linux distribution, mostly because its attack surface is the sum of the attack surfaces of just about every other Linux distribution combine. While steps can be taken to alleviate this to some degree, ultimately, a locked-down Bedrock Linux can never truly reach the security offered by a locked-down standard Linux distribution.

If I am reading it correclty, it would be like having a Linux distro installed that interconnects any other Linux distro you have installed via multiboot.

I don't believe that is what is intended. Not a multiboot, and not running other installed distros.

It is designed to be the basic installed Linux, similar to a base Arch install. Then you can build packages for it that are drawn from any Linux distro's sources. It would allow you to run native and uniquely Ubuntu packages as if you were running Ubuntu, without having Ubuntu installed at all.

The Introduction and FAQ were fascinating reading.