MS Networking - augh

havnblast

ok I am at a loss here, I have 2 computers connected with a 4 port hub - ICS on one. I can browse and share on both computers, but the other computer can not connect to the internet.the weird part is the new firefox on this machine will not connect either, nor will the new install of winamp. The main machine is XP and the other machine is windows ME. ICS use to work and never had problems, it must be related to same problem winamp and firefox are having. No firewall is running, not even the generic XP one. Something went hay-wire - any ideas??

Try running the XP network setup disk on the WinME machine. You can create one on your XP machine in the network set up wizard. I keep a copy of this file on the desktop of both of my remote ME machines. Have to rerun it from time to time. :D

There are only 3 types of ICS users.(By BobR)1. Those that have had problems with it.2. Those that are having problems with it.3. Those that are going to have problems with it.Could be you graduate to level 2..

One thing I found out at practicallynetworked.com was that you must use DHCP on your remote LAN connections when using ICS. I kept trying to assign static IP addresses to my remote computers & my sharing XP machine kept resetting my remote ME machines to DHCP. XP Pro, when using ICS, assigns your sharing computer the 192.168.0.1 address (if I remember correctly) on the LAN & makes the others use DHCP. That was the biggest quirk that I discovered about XP & ICS. Could your LAN IP address have been changed on your ICS sharing computer? How about the settings for the default gateway on your ME machine?Good Luck!

The gateway is working I can see that. It has something to do with Winamp and Firefox not being able to connect is what I am figuring. Why some programs can connect and why some cannot is the mystery when they all did in the past. Same with ICS it use to work just fine, never had a problem and always worked fine.Things that use to connect can no longer :D

Another thought..................Have you recently installed any of Microsoft's alleged patches or fixes?FYI -There is something going on somewhere out there that is knocking out the ability of Windows XP home and other Windows to see each other properly.Has anyone else noticed this? It's just in about the past two weeks.......XP Home but not Pro..................... :D

Good suggestion Rons - one of the super patches (maybe November's?) messed up my advanced tab in networking properties, including my ICS & XP firewall settings. I uninstalled the patch & it worked fine. Reinstalled the patch about a month later & it worked. I am running Pro, so I can't speak to problems with patches for XP Home.

If you've got some extra cash and your using a broadband connection, I would suggest investing in a router/switch/firewall combo. They've gotten quite affordable already and they make it an absolute cinch to share a broadband Internet connection.

Yea a router is what I am looking at - tired of this ICS stuff anyway, I have DSL and I have all the patches from MS, so everything is current. Wonder if one of those did it, I'm not in windows enough anymore to notice if things break right away. I update and reboot back to linux, but I have been unsuccessful at ICS with Linux, can network but ICS is a pain in Linux, so I will look at getting a router and say screw it.Now all I need is a good router - wireless would be nice, but hate to spend the money on wireless

Router - benefits are they are smart compared to a hub - use MAC addressing - and provide NAT protection. Highly recommend it using DSL. Wireless - only complaints I have heard is that sometimes 2.4G phones can interfer with and cause dropped connections. Good luck. :) PS Reason I mentioned about XP Home, in some of the other forums, there are one to two postings a day about loss of network connectivity - with one or more PC's using the Home edition. Thanks. ;)

To be honest I thought that you guys are pulling legs.I can write a whole dissertation explaining why ICS is not the thing to use, unless you are sharing an Internal DialUpModem.This is Feb. of 2004 Wired Routers go for $10 - $20.I suggest to people who are on DSL PPPOE to get a Router even if they are using single computer (no Network and No Sharing). The Router keeps the PPPOE alive independent from the computer (so you can uninstall the PPPOE software), as a result the Internet connection is more stable and somewhat faster.The PPPOE software is even more trouble than ICS, and the combination of the two is a time bomb.Routers takes over few of the OS' Network related functions, as a result the Network is more stable since it can depend less on registry entries..

I have PPPOE that is for sure, wish it was DHCP - sure would make life easier, but oh well, better than dialup.A router and a reinstall of XP is on the list. Thanks everyone for the input! :)

JackR is absolutely right on all counts.Plus, with a router you'll be able to use DHCP :)The router should also resolve the DNS from your ISP automatically - so all you have to enter is your username and password assigned to you by your ISP, and that's it!I would highly recommend basically any D-Link Router. I have a D-Link Di-704p that has worked for 1 1/2 years. It died a few weeks ago and I was up and running with a brand new *free* replacement (lifetime warranty :)) within 2 weeks of the phone call to D-Link. All it cost me was the 7 bucks to ship it to D-Link.

I must be looking for routers in all of the wrong places! :) I would like a wired ethernet router with the ability to share broadband. But when I look at buy.com, circuitcity.com, Staples and Radio Shack, all of the routers that I see are in the $50 - $60 range. :blink: I have 2 networks that I would like to put routers on, but haven't been able to find good enough prices!Can anyone let me know where I might find a wired broadband sharing router for $10 - $20?Thanks!-------------------The long-suffering ICS user Sieb!! :'(

Main Stream:Link to: 4-Port Cable/DSL Web Safe Router with 10/100 Mbps Switch $19.99 after rebate.Link to: MR814 Cable/DSL Wireless Router, 802.11b. $19.99 after reabte Wireless same price as Wired but bigger Rebate. :) Semi Main Stream:Link to: EtherEngine 400-R 4 Port Cable/DSL Broadband Router $9.99 after reabte.Non Main Stream:Link to: Speed Stream 2 ports $16.99 Shipped No rebtaes. This has only two ports for two computers. Need more ports Stick a regular switch into one port and the sky is the Limit. :'( *** With the rebates the Wireless Netgear is the best for the money among this group. :ermm:*** Staples has tomorrow one day same deal on the Netgear Wireless. :blink:

The other thing to try is disable/enable the network connection icon in the Networking Control Panel and/or if it's an option, choose Repair.

FWIWI was reading a post on another forum this AM and someone mentioned about using the Network Setup Wizard - which comes with XP. [i'm not sure if any other Windows has this feature - I have always setup Networks manually]Anyway, if and when a problem arises, most users will run the Network Setup Wizards again and again. This corrupts the registry and makes it harder to even manually setting up a network - without a registry clean.Most of the problems happen with Windows XP Home - so the guess is that these are home users.Anyone else seen this before??? ;)

I guess I haven't - like you I set mine up manually also.I'm just running into all sorts of weird stuff in XP - my internet is now 1/3 faster in XP than it use to be - this is confirmed with DSL Reports site.Firefox still gets unknown host and can't connect - Mozilla/Firebird has no problemsInstalled latest Winamp and all radio stations come up unknown host, uninstalled and installed winamp 2 and same thing. ;) Prior latest version of Winamp never had a problem.Guess it's been a year, time to format and reinstall - usually like to do that to keep it error free. Wonder if I will get the same internet speed tho, hate to loose that. I know it sounds weird, but that is the truth.

It used to be that only Symantec treats your computer as thought their software is the only software on your computer.Now every Code Writer feels that it is his obligation to tweak, change, adjust the Settings, and install Live updates Modules. These Codes can not take into consideration the “ins and outs†of every particular computer (the same with ICS) and end up trashing the Network stacks and registry settings.As far as I am concern, for the individual user this is much more of a treat then Hackers, and security problems that mainly plague big cooperate sites.As an Example.I just Uninstalled AOL Optimize off a Computer that was moved from DialUp to DSL and out of AOL. After the AOL uninstall there were 84 Registry entries that were left behind hindering I.E smooth operation (AOL Software actually attached itself to the original IE installation). As long as you surfed in one or two windows IE worked OK, if a link tried to open a third window IE would totaly shut down. I spent hours trying to clean the Registry and go over and over all the settings. At the end I had No other choice and had to Re-Install the whole system..

Yikes!!I know what you mean tho - AOL is a bad one for taking over the computer. No software should have that power unless you yourself go in and set it up to do that, but to do it behind your back should be illegal.I find networking in linux to MS is easier than MS to MS software :angry: it should be the other way around. On the lan at work I have no problem browsing and sharing files with linux on the other MS systems, but MS to MS problems will occur. The one that gets me is if you pull up network neighborhood and you don't see the computer so you close it out and reopen it 5 minutes later the computer is there again or if you search for the computer you find it, but doesn't show up in the Computer Near Me. You would think MS to MS would be such a snap.

FWIWI was reading a post on another forum this AM and someone mentioned about using the Network Setup Wizard - which comes with XP. [i'm not sure if any other Windows has this feature - I have always setup Networks manually]Anyway, if and when a problem arises, most users will run the Network Setup Wizards again and again. This corrupts the registry and makes it harder to even manually setting up a network - without a registry clean.Most of the problems happen with Windows XP Home - so the guess is that these are home users.Anyone else seen this before???  :angry:
I've used the network setup wizard with XP Pro then on ME machines with good luck. I've also done some setup manually. The biggest problem when setting up my network manually is that if you use ICS in XP, you can't set static IP addresses on your remote LAN connections. You must let the XP machine (assuming its the computer that is sharing the internet connection) assign IP addresses to the ME or remote machines using DHCP.
AOL is a bad one for taking over the computer.
Had that experience with AOL too!

OK Let me be more Graphical.You smoke One cigarette or two ot even ten, you do not get Seek.You smoke a lot and you know what you get.You use the Wizards Once twice few more time it is OK.You use the Wiz a lot, or when something is wrong and you start to use the Wizard repeatedly to "Fix" things, your Network settings gets the Big C without Smoking..