NAS... Where to start?

pc-tecky

Yeah the topic sums it up best. So I've read about NAS rigs running FreeNAS over at Tom's Hardware. But my questions are more geared towards finding the balance between costs and efficiency of the hardware options to implement and build a NAS device. So where else do I post? Maybe in the Linux forums, but it's not really linux, and it's definitely not Windows, though Windows should be able to access it - or what's the use?

CPU: cluesless - well not completely - I suppose most anything will work. Atom*, Athlon XP (1600+), P2/P3 (450MHz-1GHz, some duals), P4 (2.4ghz-3.4ghz), P-D(one, ??), Core 2 Duo (or C2D - 1.8), Celeron (331), Core I3*, or that new Intel E3 Xeon* on a Mini-ITX*? (* = $$$, need to buy) Posts at Tom's Hardware state to avoid PCI - as it's mostly dead anyways. And I would have to agree, though most of my systems are AGP/PCI based.

RAM: Again the posts indicate that FreeNAS can operate with 512MB to 1024MB/1GB, and everything else above 1GB is a waste of resources. What about ZFS memory requirements - well, I don't know.

OS HDD: some old thing that still runs; (Live-)CD, 1GB USB, 40GB ide, 80 GB sata (for FreeNAS of course)

RAID: most likely - hardware or software?? ZFS sounds nice. as does Raid 5 and Raid 6. Anything special to look out for?

HDD: Well I was thinking 3TB, but old school hardware (most anything pre-C2D) might have (untested) limitations.

PSU and CASE: Well, just about any PSU and any case will work.

So off to the FreeNAS site to do some digging.

I use a DroboFS. I know it does not exactly line up with what you are talking about, but it is the drop dead simple solution, albeit somewhat expensive to get going.

The parts I like are the selection of one or two disk redundancy, and the ability of the volume to grow with the addition of new drives. I also have it set up to send me a tet alert if there is a problem detected with the array or one of the drives.

Also, once configured, there is ZERO administration to think about. If I need to add a drive, I add it in. No rebuilding necessary. The benefits of the Drobo are significant in this regard, if you need to grow your volume quickly.

Adam

At work I looked into building an NAS device. My conclusion: since I wasn't doing this as a "Ben Heck"project, it was more effecient to buy a device. Which I did, from Maxtor. Very pleased with the decision. (umm, how come my browser spellcheck does not work when posting an entry?)

For dead simple setup I use QNAP boxes. They have a wide-range of configurations of BYOD systems from 2 to 12 bays. If you are planning to build your own you might take a look in the current Linux Journal magazine that has an article about ZFS and Btrfs. One thing that I discovered from reading that article was that using RAID with ZFS and Btrfs is redundant so that's something to consider.

Yeah the topic sums it up best. So I've read about NAS rigs running FreeNAS over at Tom's Hardware. But my questions are more geared towards finding the balance between costs and efficiency of the hardware options to implement and build a NAS device. >pc-tecky

+++++++++++++++

This might be a place to ask a couple questions I have about a home NAS --

Assuming the box has a 100b connection to your network, that translates to ~10MB /second of bandwidth, which could be handled by almost any disk drive of recent manufacture, and any recent cpu would spend most of its time waiting for the next packet to arrive.

So why does any home system need a RAID disk or a fast cpu or lots of memory for this sort of work? Seems like any old doggy cast-off machine that was still reliable would work.

True. But once you start using a gigabit network, speed becomes a much greater concern. :)

Adam

are there any media streaming devices that go at a gig? I think unless you have a really big house that is only using cables running at a gig, having a NAS with 100M would be fine.

That's not the only reason to have a gigabit network. File transfers at 100mbit can be pretty slow at times.

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Yes, Adam! .ISOs can get big! And backups! And it's wonderful to have them go as fast as possible.

And after you work on those home movies or recordings of ball games, or local band concerts, etc. Moving them to a backup server to free up your computer really taxes the network as well. Especially the videos that go for an hour or two at full quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Raspberry Pi set up as both a NAS and FTP server. I have a 500gb external USB drive connected to it. Running Debian Wheezy, Samba for NAS and vsftpd as the ftp server. Total cost less than $50 plus the cost of whatever drives you connect to it.

There is a wait time to get a Pi but it is now down to about 4 weeks. Of course you can pay extra to get one on eBay. I think the current price on eBay is about $80 delivered. It is critical with the Pi that you get a good PSU for it. I recommend the HP Touchpad supply. They are often on sale for $4.95 shipped.

I think the iPhone charger delivers enough power to run the Pi as well.....

Adam

If you have one and don't need it for the iPhone, then, yes, it will work. But I believe it is only 1amp as opposed to the TP's 2. But, you can't "share" it with the phone if you want the NAS to be up 24/7.