Download info for Firefox/T-bird/Mozilla

Neil P

Links last verified/updated by: Neil (steeler fan for life) on October 05, 2004Latest news: Firefox 1.0 Released!!!Latest version of each product:Firefox: Firefox 1.0Thunderbird: Thunderbird 0.9Mozilla-Stable: Mozilla 1.7.3Mozilla-Testing: Mozilla 1.8a4Note: All download links provided are ftp links. The same links should work changing ftp:// to http://. Also, if the links are slow, check the MirrorsAlso note: Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird are both in pre-1.0 stages. However, they are based off of the very mature Mozilla Suite so they should be fairly stable. Releases should be considered solid.For those new to the alternative world that is Mozilla, here is a short description of each of the apps that are linked here:Mozilla is the open-source "child" of Netscape. Netscape released the source code to the public, called it Mozilla, and work began. It is a suite of applications: A web browser (Navigator), HTML Editor (Composer), Email client, IRC chat client (Chatzilla) and more. If you used Netscape, but dropped it after the 4.x series, then look again. A lot has changed since then. (Netscape 7.1, the final Netscape release before AOL fired all of the Netscape employees, is just Mozilla (1.4 I believe) that was taken, had a few things added to it (such as AIM) and called Netscape.).Mozilla Firefox is the "child" of Mozilla (or the "grandchild" of Netscape :thumbsup: ). It is the revamped Web Browser of Mozilla (Navigator) and nothing more. Although it is based off of Navigator from Mozilla, it is not the same as it. Many changes have been made to the user interface, and a ton of new features have also been added. Small, light, and fast, it is the future of the Mozilla Foundation. Most of the work nowadays goes toward Firefox (formerly Firebird, and before that Phoenix), although work still does go into the Mozilla suite. I highly recommend Firefox over any browser out there.Mozilla Thunderbird is the brother of Firefox, in that it is Mozilla's Mail & News Editor stripped out of the suite and released by itself. Like Firefox, a lot of work has gone into improving the User Interface, and new features (like an experimental spam blocker, which is being tested right now) are implemented. Still very early in development, Thunderbird is very mature and gets better all the time. Like Firefox, Thunderbird is the future of Mozilla (making a switch from one giant app to a bunch of smaller ones working together)(Other projects have been split off and are now being developed separately also; Mozilla Calendar is being developed as Sunbird; Mozilla Composer is being developed for Lindows (although available for everyone) as N|vu pronounced "N View"; and the IRC client is developed as ChatZilla. Now, on to the Links:Mozilla:Mozilla Home Page -- Recently redesigned and "pretty-fied"Mozilla 1.7.3 Current Stable release -- When in doubt, this is the one to get!Mozilla 1.8 Alpha 4 -Latest testing release. Stay away from this unless you absolutely need the newest features. (This release is based off of the trunk, while 1.7 has been on its own branch for a long time. Remember, branch = stability (usually :) )Latest trunk buildMozillaZine - Daily Mozilla NewsMozillaNews - Another Mozilla News site (who would have figured from the name? :) )Mozilla 1.x forums @ MozillaZine -- good for questions you can't answerMozilla's Roadmap Where Mozilla is headed

Mozilla Firefox:

Firefox's Product and Home PageSpreadFirefox -- With the launch of 1.0 PR, this new website goes into beta testing. This mZ article tells more about itFirefox's PROJECT page which lists more information for developers, but has some good info nonetheless.Firefox 1.0 PR (internally known as 0.10.1) - Latest and greatest browser release!Firefox Nightly Trunk Builds - May be unstable!. Firefox releases will not return to the trunk until post 1.0. Therefore, while the trunk and the branch (named "Aviary") may be close feature-wise right now, by the time 1.0 comes out (probably late September), the trunk could be drastically different. Stability is not critical for the trunk right now.Aviary Branch builds These builds are what the future 1.0 release will be like (Despite being named "latest-0.9", don't be fooled -- these have the latest code)Firefox has its own mirrors page -- useful at release time, when many servers get overloaded and are painfully slow.Mozilla Firefox Forums @ MozillaZineThe Burning Edge - Very Useful Site!!! - Use to see what bugs are in nightly (branch) versions of FirefoxMozilla Firefox Help Used to be the Home Page, very useful site!Be sure to check the Tips & TricksExtensions can be found on Mozilla Update -- Updates should work from within 1.0PR now!Firefox's own roadmap Shows good buglists and features that will be implemented. Updated recently for a much more stylish look.

Thunderbird:

Thunderbird Product PageThunderbird PROJECT page like the Fx project page, lists more developer-oriented info, but still worth a look!Thunderbird 0.8 Source is there too -- A good release on the way to 1.0!Thunderbird nightly branch builds -- Branch nightly builds (this code will mature into 1.0 code eventually)Thunderbird help Same host as Firebird HelpThunderbird ExtensionsMozilla Thunderbird forums @ MozillaZineThe Recent Changes link updated again!

I split this off as Steeler fan said he'd be happy to keep this list up-to-date... I also updated most of the new Firefox links (if they don't work, PM either Steeler fan or I). Enjoy the new info!

• 1 month later...

Links last verified by:Me (steeler fan for life) on September 14, 2004New round o' updates!Firefox 1.0PRThunderbird 0.8Mozilla 1.7.3Site updatesGrammar updates, wording changesBe sure to add any useful links you may have that aren't in here...post them in the thread or PM me and I will add them in!

Could you possibly add a 1 line description to each entity? Like Browser and email client or Email client only or something like that. It would help clarify things for those of us who don't currently use any of these apps.

Could you possibly add a 1 line description to each entity?  Like Browser and email client or Email client only or something like that.  It would help clarify things for those of us who don't currently use any of these apps.
Thanks for the suggestion Ed......but I got a little carried away :w00t:If that is too much information, just let me know that too....and I will try to trim it down.Open to more suggetions as well >_<

I added just a little bit of flair to your post. :) Should make it stand out a bit...Also, I'm not sure how exactly to mention it, but you might say that FB and TB aren't just the stripped out components of Mozilla Suite... The GUI for both programs has been written new from the ground up... They both use the gecko engine, bt the actual programs are completely different. :)

I added just a little bit of flair to your post. :)  Should make it stand out a bit...Also,  I'm not sure how exactly to mention it, but you might say that FB and TB aren't just the stripped out components of Mozilla Suite...  The GUI for both programs has been written new from the ground up...  They both use the gecko engine, bt the actual programs are completely different. :)
Thanks Ryan. I did add a few lines about the UI and feature changes. I never even thought to mention it :) .I like the colors too...they make it easier to find things instead of just bold all the time. :)

Mozilla Thunderbird
Shouldn't this text be red? :ph34r: :whistling: The always nitpicking Ed. :P On a more serious note, thank you guys. The descriptions are more than I had hoped for and are very informative. I had thought that Mozilla had preceeded Netscape but that was Mosaic.BTW Steeler fan for life since the Bills GM, head coach, several coordinators, players and possibly backup QB are former Steelers are you now a Bills fan too. :hmm:

Mozilla Thunderbird
Shouldn't this text be red? :ph34r: :whistling: The always nitpicking Ed. :P On a more serious note, thank you guys. The descriptions are more than I had hoped for and are very informative. I had thought that Mozilla had preceeded Netscape but that was Mosaic.BTW Steeler fan for life since the Bills GM, head coach, several coordinators, players and possibly backup QB are former Steelers are you now a Bills fan too. :hmm:
I think Thunderbird was made blue by Ryan because (at least this is what I thought when I saw it) the about images of Firebird (and now Firefox) were red (obviously; Fire = red), and Thunderbird's are blue. Maybe he has another reason (even on MozillaZine's forums, a developer gets a special description rather than boring "Forum Member"; T-bird dev's get blue, Fx devs get red)And as for me liking the Bills, I have a simple answer for that:NO!Once a player/coach leaves the Steelers...he is dead to me.

....images of Firebird (and now Firefox) were red (obviously; Fire = red), and Thunderbird's are blue.....
Well that's certainly logical. But all the links, both Firebird and Thunderbird's, are blue and I don't think the forum provides any options for changing that.How about if the subject's text is underlined regardless of color? B) No, then they will look like links. Italics! How about making the subject's text italics? B) ? And keep the colors of course.
......And as for me liking the Bills, I have a simple answer for that:NO!Once a player/coach leaves the Steelers...he is dead to me.
:D

• 1 month later...

Updated to change to Mozilla 1.7 RC1, Thunderbird 0.6Also made some minor changes.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated June 2, 2004 by Neil (steeler fan for life)Changed 1.7 RC1 to RC2 (forgot that before) and added 1.8a1.Also change some wording, clarified a little, and updated some stale information. Also checked all the links.For those of you who don't want to read through that giant post again:Firefox 0.9 should be out by the middle of this month (June)...or the end at the latest. Mozilla 1.7 is scheduled to come out on the 8th, but expect to miss that date by a few days (or maybe weeks, its hard to say). The deadlines aren't concrete.Remember, if you want to try a nightly build. Trunk = More features, more bugs. Branch = less features, less bugs.Actually, there aren't that many new features on the trunk that would warrant the drop in stability. Go with a branch build (look for Latest-1.7 or Latest-0.9--Mozilla and Firefox, respectively).

Neil... how is the new extension UI setting up for FF0.9? From the sounds of it, it's making a mess...

Neil...  how is the new extension UI setting up for FF0.9?  From the sounds of it, it's making a mess...
Well....its not 100% right now. Since only a Windows Tinderbox is set up right now (here--checkins are here), I can't test it out.Ben has put a lot of work into it recently, and without a doubt 0.9 will not release with a buggy Extension Manager. The actual extension manager bug is Bug 170006. There is a thread at MozillaZine that asks for community testing of the EM so bugs can be filed.Just another small note: The profile directory is changing again hopefully for the last time, all profiles are now moving under a /mozilla directory. So Linux profiles will be at ~/.mozilla/firefox

• 3 weeks later...

Whew! A ton of changes since my last update!--Mozilla 1.7 is finally out!--Firefox 0.9 is out!--Thunderbird 0.7 is out!--update.mozilla.org is live, get your extensions and themes there now!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a reminder to all 0.9 users, Firefox 0.9.1 is out (Don't forget about Thunderbird, which released 0.7.1 too!)All users are encouraged to upgrade both, as some problems with the extension manager were worked out. It should be more stable than 0.9.Notes:--As always, create (or empty your current directory) a new directory for this release! DO NOT INSTALL OVER AN OLD RELEASE!--A new profile is not necessary going from 0.9 -> 0.9.1 (If you are still having problems, then go ahead and see if a new profile will fix them)

• 2 months later...

Weee!Firefox 1.0PR, Thunderbird 0.8, and Mozilla 1.7.3 were all released in the past 2 days!Check the updated first post for all the info!:o :o :w00tx100: Neil[edit]Oh right.If you install Firefox 1.0 PR, it is, as always, recommended that you make a new profile before installing it (try without a new profile, the Extension Manager is supposed to update extensions and themes automagically on first run. If you have strange problems, then go for a new profile!)And of course, make sure you are installing this to an empty directory, as some strange problems crop up sometimes if you install over an old version)Happy browsing!

Check the updated first post for all the info!
Thanks steeler fan for life.May I suggest that when you update the first post that you put a line at the top of it noting the date last updated? It would save reading the thread to know if the info at the top is current.Just a thought.You planning on attending the Jan 2 game?

Thanks steeler fan for life.May I suggest that when you update the first post that you put a line at the top of it noting the date last updated?  It would save reading the thread to know if the info at the top is current.Just a thought.You planning on attending the Jan 2 game?
Good idea Ed, keep 'em comin!

Good idea Ed, keep 'em comin!
:) well you could emphasis the update line by changing it's font and color or size (smaller) and color. Something along the lines of:Updated: Neil (steeler fan for life) on September 14, 2004Updated: Neil (steeler fan for life) on September 14, 2004Just a suggestion. :clap2:

• 3 weeks later...

Tons of new little tweaks to the post:First, update links:Mozilla 1.8a4 and Firefox 0.10.1 releasedFixed the "updated by" lineAdded a "latest news" and "latest versions" line to the top.Let me know if these ideas are good or bad or whatever, comments are welcome as always!(Ed, as for the Jan 2 game, unfortunately I will not be attending. That's ok though, I know who is going to win! <_< )