Linux accessibility - what is it and why does it matter

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

Linux accessibility - what is it and why does it matter DistroWatch

Feature Story (by Robert Cole)

A note to readers. This article focuses on accessibility from the standpoint of a blind user. There are other assistive technologies available for users with other disabilities in the Linux world, but due to my lack of experience with these technologies I do not feel comfortable writing about them. I offer a sincere apology for this.

We live in a society today that is laden with many different terms which have multiple meanings, and sometimes one simply looks at a specific term but not its underlying definition. One of the terms which we will look at today is that of "accessibility", not to be confused with "usability". Although both of these terms often go hand-in-hand, they are two separate areas when it comes to technology.

Before we get into this mysterious word, "accessibility", let me first introduce myself. My name is Robert Cole. I have been a Linux user now for nearly seven years, five years of which I have been an exclusive user of this excellent and open platform. So, what makes me any more "different" than other users? Well, I am not trying to be boastful of the fact, but I am a blind user. For the record, however, I am not totally blind, but I am pretty close. I suffer from an eye disorder known as microphthalmia, which basically means "small eyes". I have no sight in my left eye, and a very small amount (literally 20/2000) in my right eye. And yes, I love using Linux.

I will not completely go into detail about why I use Linux. Suffice it to say that if you are a blind Windows user, you are, for the most part, a target of big name companies who make extremely pricey software products (namely screen readers and screen magnifiers as well as other technologies) which allow you the "privilege" of using your computer system. You literally would have to pay for two or more additional computer systems just to be able to use the one you already have, not including the upgrade costs for said software. Not very nice, is it? But that's life if you are blind and you are "into" computers. Well, it used to be for me.

And that's just the beginning of the article. Must Read.

Guest LilBambi

You're welcome. Yes, that's why I was so excited about it. He really was speaking from his heart. And it is such a great thing to see people who are blind/sight impaired doing so well with Linux!

Give one new hope for the rest of the world and using Linux!

V.T. Eric Layton

Why don't you just open your FF Preferences and permanently increase your font sizes? Mine are all set to 14 with 14 also set as the minimum font size. Make sure you uncheck the box to allow websites to use their own fonts, too. I've run my FF like this for years. No need to zoom. :)

ff_font_shot-1.png