New monitor/video ports question

securitybreach

securitybreach

I attempted to add the second video card and monitor to my xorg.conf but I did not have any luck. Here was the last working catalyst-generated xorg.conf:

https://github.com/s...1/xorg.conf-ati

Here are the relevant sections for the card/non-working monitor:

Section "Device"
Identifier "amdcccle-Device[2]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-Default monitor" "1-Default monitor"
BusID "PCI:2:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "1-Default monitor"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "480x640"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" ""
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Versus the working entries:

Section "Device"
Identifier "amdcccle-Device[1]-0"
Driver "fglrx"
Option "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
Option "Monitor-DFP5" "0-DFP5"
Option "Monitor-DFP6" "0-DFP6"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "0-DFP6"
Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
Option "TargetRefresh" "60"
Option "Position" "0 0"
Option "Rotate" "normal"
Option "Disable" "false"
EndSection

I think I will install the proprietary driver again and try to tweak the xorg.conf some more.

Guest LilBambi

No I have not but it works in Windows so it is not the hardware. I will try that today but I have to first get X back in working order (stopped with the OSS driver without X) .

Just because it works in Windows, doesn't mean it's not a valid diagnostic step. ;)

securitybreach

Just because it works in Windows, doesn't mean it's not a valid diagnostic step. ;)

Yeah I know that ;)

Guest LilBambi

Besides, then you could copy what they put in there if it's the only one, and have something to replicate when you put the older one back in. ;)

securitybreach

Here in a few I will remove the older card, replace it with the new one, reinstall the Catalyst driver, run the autodetect script to generate a working xorg.conf, startx and configure.

Besides, then you could copy what they put in there if it's the only one, and have something to replicate when you put the older one back in. ;)

Good idea :thumbsup:

securitybreach

Well the card worked fine as X started perfectly with the open source driver. I ended up installing the Catalyst Proprietary driver and let it generate an xorg.conf:

https://github.com/securitybreach/Cerberus/blob/master/xorg.conf-single

The problem is that it does not really tell me anything useful as the entries are just generic auto-generated entries.

securitybreach

Ok, all four screens are up now but my onboard ethernet died so I had to go buy another nic. Anyway, I have it setup with the fourth monitor as a seperate X so I have to finish setting it up correctly.

V.T. Eric Layton

So what do you propose? Seriously?

Me? I haven't a clue, my friend. Like I've said before, I'm a one-monitor kinda' guy. Wish I could help you, but this is way out of my league.

I should learn to read the entire thread before replying. :(

YAY! You got it working. Boy! That's a lot of monitors. I picture you with a lot of eyes sitting there in front of them.

Spider-Eyes.jpg

securitybreach

Me? I haven't a clue, my friend. Like I've said before, I'm a one-monitor kinda' guy. Wish I could help you, but this is way out of my league.

Well as you can see from the above picture, I have it working now but with separate X sessions on each monitor. Not the ideal setup but it works for now.

B)

securitybreach

YAY! You got it working. Boy! That's a lot of monitors. I picture you with a lot of eyes sitting there in front of them.

Just four eyes B)

Guest LilBambi

I bet! Glad you were able to get it work; even if not your ideal situation. But hey, eventually now that you got it working one way, they will come out with a fix. ;) It's part of Murphy's Law. Well, sorta. ;)

securitybreach

I bet! Glad you were able to get it work; even if not your ideal situation. But hey, eventually now that you got it working one way, they will come out with a fix. ;) It's part of Murphy's Law. Well, sorta. ;)

Actually now I have it perfected. I enabled Xinerama and now it is setup just like before but with QUAD monitors.

securitybreach

Everything is perfect and setup up the same as before:

92cb30194023004.jpg

Glad I do not give up so easily!!! :Muahaha: :th_0099: :th_Wave:

B)

Guest LilBambi

I thought you might need to go to Xinerama to get it to work like you wanted. That's great!

Everything is perfect and setup up the same as before:

92cb30194023004.jpg

Glad I do not give up so easily!!! :Muahaha: :th_0099: :th_Wave:

B)

Yea!!!

:blissysmile: :blissysmile:

securitybreach

I thought you might need to go to Xinerama to get it to work like you wanted. That's great!

Well that and I had to manually configure my xorg.conf as the Catalyst Control Center refused to use the second video card and fourth monitor.

Thanks for the tip Fran :thumbup:

B)