new mobo & cpu

rakemup

I'm looking at installing a new motherboard and cpu on my home pc. I run linux distros only (no doze for me!) :thumbsup: Anyone have any suggestions as to what to avoid and what to look for? Are certain brands of mobos more linux-friendly?Requirements - etc:Approximate budget is $200 for the mobo and $200 for the processor. (or $400 total)integrated video or sound is not a requirement (I have cards for those)SSD support is a mustfull-size moboUSB 3.0 support would be nice for future usethanks

You definitely want SATA III, 6GB/s, interface. When you buy an SSD get one that has the SATA III interface. Super speed! I've had excellent service and support from ASUS, GIGABYTE, and MSI motherboards. You are looking at their upper tier manufacturing with that price point, some of MSI's budget boards are very cheaply made.

My preference is ASUS. Good quality and lots of good features. Make sure you go with a Sandy Bridge CPU (Socket 1155 and not the first-gen Socket 1156) if you want Intel. The Core i5 2400K is great value. Pair it up with either a P8P67 or P8Z68 based chipset motherboard and you will be future-proofed for a few years.

securitybreach

Well I have had good experience with XFX, Asus, Gigabyte and a few others running Linux. Most motherboards support Linux, it is just a matter of getting a quality board. I would never buy a FoxConn board simply because they are cheaply made (I have RMAd about 5 of them over the years) but other than that, it is just a matter of what specs you want. I personally upgraded my main system a few months back with an awesome Asus motherboard for $139:ASUS P7P55D-E LX Motherboard ATX, SATA 6GB/s, USB 3.0And the processor is also around 200 bucks ($209):Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz Quad-Core (Safely overclocked to 3.9Ghz)Add 16gb of ram for another $160 and you will have a smoking fast machine.

V.T. Eric Layton

I've built systems on Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte with close to zero issues with any of them.I prefer AMD processors, but that's just a matter of opinion. I would recommend that you try to go with Nvidia graphics, though. It is MUCH MORE supported than Ati at the moment.

My input (fwiw), I just built a complete box, case and all. The mainboard that I used is a Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3, married up to an AMD Phenom II X6 CPU. So far all is good, except I have yet to get the wireless to work in Linux. But it works fine in 7. It does have USB 3.0 (2 slots) and 6 SATA 6Gbs slots. HTH...